Monday, July 22, 2013

School Supplies & Burlap Pencil Sign

One day last week Rhett and I went school supplies shopping while Alexee and Crosby were at VBS.  He printed the list from the school's website and found everything himself.  I'm not at all ready for school to start, but I do love new supplies!  R also asked to get a new backpack and lunch box this year.  Sadly (for me) he no longer wants a monogrammed Pottery Barn backpack with matching lunchox.  He's just growing up way too fast.
Look how little he was sitting in the Target shopping cart in 2009!  (And we were still buying diapers back then!)
Kindergarten, 2009.........................................4th grade, 2013
He sorted everything out when we got home and packed everything into his new backpack for delivery on "Meet-the-Teacher" night.  I enjoyed our morning together!
 
*****
Last week Alexee and I worked on a burlap project for my friend Candy's classroom.  Her room has a monkey theme with some black, white (and zebra pattern) and purple.  Hobby Lobby even had monkey ribbon--love that store!  Alexee helped with the painting, and she also helped measure, cut and tie the ribbons!
What you need:
burlap (I think this used about 1 yd)
acrylic paints & brushes
variety of ribbons
hot glue gun/plenty of glue sticks
newspaper or plastic bags (for stuffing)
clear acrylic high gloss coating (optional, but gives it a shiny, finished look)
Once all the painting was finished, I stuffed it with plastic Kroger bags, hot-glued the front and back together and took it outside to spray it with the high gloss sealer.  Here's the finished project, ready for the first day of school:
While at Hobby Lobby looking for ribbon, I saw these cute chevron note cards and couldn't resist! (4 different colors, 2 of each for $4.99)!  I ran them through our printer to add my name in different fonts.  I think I might go back and get more to print for teacher gifts, etc.
In Microsoft Word, go to:
File
Page Set Up
Paper Size...Manage Custom Sizes
Type in the size of your card (stretched out flat, like a sheet of paper.  This particular card was 6"w x 9"h), set small margins and save that as named custom size, ex. "chevron card" so you can go back to it if you want to reprint later on.
In the Word document, type your name, choose font, sizing and positioning that you want (I did right alignment at bottom of page for these)
Print!  :)

6 comments:

Candy said...

love the comparison school supply shopping trip pics. Time sure goes by too fast. LOVE the door hanger and can't wait to hang it on my classroom door! :) Even more special knowing that A helped with it too. :) The note cards are super cute esp with your cute font! I bought some chevron note cards already printed on front to send to my students before school starts. ;)

Katie said...

Absolutely love the burlap pencil! That could be the perfect back-to-school gift for my teacher friends!

Mimi said...

What kind of paint do you use on the burlap? It looks shiny. That is the cutest teacher gift I've seen yet!! LOVE!

Keepin' me on my Tepe Toes said...

Quick question (love your blog!) How did you run the notecards through the printer?!?!? I would LOVE to do that!!

Claire said...

Oh that door hanger is adorable! I would love something like that.

My classroom is being refurbished this break, so I'm waiting on that finishing up to choose colours and themes - such fun!

Courtney said...

That door hanger is adorable! And I love the personalized card idea, will definitely have to try that!