Sunday, March 20, 2016

Welcome, March

Spring seemed to arrive a little early this year!  I was out in the yard on March 1st and noticed these hyacinths blooming by our fence.  I had completely forgotten about planting them last year, so it was a pleasant surprise.  It did make me regret not planting tulip bulbs, too, as I'd planned.  Maybe this fall!  
March 2nd was the elementary school spelling bee.  Crosby was the alternate for his 1st grade class, but he did not get to step in for the competition this time.  Alexee was a 3rd grade class representative. She studied really really hard, but unfortunately, it didn't go as well as last year.   I don't know if it was nerves or what, but she stepped up to the microphone for her first word and was asked to spell "chimney".  She hadn't missed that one a single time in practice, but for some reason it came out as chE instead of i.  :(  She was very very disappointed, and I felt terrible for her because she was so upset.  We are really proud of her for working so hard and for being brave enough to stand up in front of a large group for the competition.  I was nervous just sitting in the audience!  A wise friend suggested a therapeutic disposal of the spelling list, and you know what, Alexee did feel better after sending it through the paper shredder that evening!  :)
March 5th was the regional math competition that Rhett and several of his friends qualified for back in January.  We had to get an early start that morning, but the boys didn't seem to mind.  They had a lot more energy than I did!
                            
It was a nice day, so the boys ate lunch outside then played football during their lunch break.  R's team placed 2nd in the 6th grade team division, so that was great!  
Lane was working that day, so my parents let A & C spend the night with them Friday night.  They could have gone to the math competition with us, but I knew it would be very boring for them.  They had a lot more fun in Flippin.  The first thing they did was build a bluebird house for us to place in our yard.  They signed the bottom of it--I'm so proud of it!  I need to hang it up this week, and hopefully a bluebird will move in.  That night they camped out in the living room with glow sticks. and the next day they went to see their cousins play basketball, which they loved!  I'm glad they had a good weekend!
This picture was funny to me.  Bogart heard me start the water in the laundry room sink (which usually means bath time for him), but the door was closed so he quickly came up with this hiding spot...the cubby of the Alexee's locker!  I don't think he'd ever climbed in there before, but he must have felt desperate.  
Alexee earned a show-and-tell pass in her class, so she asked me to bring Joey by the classroom. This was Joey's third trip to school.  He skipped 1st grade, but has visited her K, 2nd and 3rd grade classes.  The kids all liked him and fed him lots of vegetables.  :)
March 6, afternoon playdate at the park with Alexee's friend, H.
March 7, science night at the kids' elementary school.  We met up with two friends after gymnastics, stopped by Chick-fil-A for a quick dinner then went to the school for the event.  The kids had fun with all the experiments!

0 comments: