Thursday, June 28, 2012

VBS Week, Part 1

Summer is in full swing, and it's that time of year again--Vacation Bible School!  The kids have been looking forward to going to Mo and Granddad's for the week.  Sunday afternoon we picked up my niece and nephew, and we were on our way.  They were really good on the drive.  Alexee asked "how much longer?" several times, and I glanced back once and realized Crosby had unstrapped and climbed out of his car seat, but other than that it was fine. 
bags packed
car loaded
5 happy grandkids on bean bags
Sunday's veggie dinner, all from Grandmother's garden (plus cornbread-yum)
We started early Monday a.m. in order to have everyone fed and ready to go by 8:15.  Mom made their favorite--biscuits and chocolate gravy--to start the week off right.  This was the traditional first day photo.  Crosby will be old enough next year, but on Monday and Tuesday mornings he had Mo all to himself.  He enjoyed that!
Ages 3, 8, 8, 5, 5
It's great to have a cousin your same age to be in your class!
This was the first year I'd helped out with VBS, and I really had fun doing crafts with Karen and Aunt Judy.  Karen's son, Dan, and I are the same age and attended many years of VBS together growing up.  :)  We were talking about the things we remembered from the old church.  I can still picture the way the Kool-Aid bubbled in that machine in the Fellowship Hall.  Fun memories, and I'm glad my kids get to make some similar memories of their own.

Judy had a lot of cute crafts planned for the kids this week.
(Alexee & Jeryn working on the top right and Jaiden & Rhett on the bottom)  
The theme this year was Amazing Wonders Aviation, and the set was so neat!  The motto:  Awesome God!  Amazing Power!  Verse:  Our Lord is great, vast in power; His understanding is infinite.  --Psalm 147:5
We stayed busy in the afternoons, too, even though it was very hot and humid: 
The kids took turns feeding the bottle calf.
We played hopscotch in the shade.
Alexee and Jeryn caught a tiny frog.  
Monday evening we went to the cabin when Dad got home.
Even when it's 100+ degrees, it's pleasant here because you can wade in the COLD water.  Crosby came prepared with a water gun and thought it was funny to catch people off guard and spray them with that cold water.
Mom picked up pizza so we had a pizza picnic at the pavilion.  They'd played hard and worked up an appetite.
I love these girls!

Dad caught a nice trout and let Crosby help reel it in.

sweet brothers.  I think they look alike in the one on the right.
As always, this was C's main source of entertainment.  We went on many many rides.
You can always see deer near by.  Sometimes we'd see the fawns with their mothers--very cute.
Wednesday morning C went to church with me.  He stayed busy making his own crafts, wiping down the tables, and mostly asking for cookies from the ladies working right next to us at the snack station!
Each classroom, recreation area, music room, etc. was a different stop around God's amazing creation.  Crafts took place in the Great Barrier Reef, so some of the projects were sea life related.  Alexee's group made these sweet little handprint fish.  
Alexee with Lily and Adrianne, two of my cousins' little girls
The older kids made prayer journals where they wrote on the covers with white crayons then painted over it with watercolors.  They all seemed to enjoy painting.

Crosby took 2+ hour naps Monday-Wednesday.  He slept the whole trip home yesterday.   He was just worn out.  It's quiet around here today, and he is missing the other kids.  He keeps asking me when we can go back and see Rhett, Alexee, Jaiden and Jeryn.  He cried when I put him in bed last night and he told me he wanted to go back to Mo and Granddad's house.  I felt so sorry for him.  We plan to go back tomorrow, so maybe I can keep him busy until then.  It makes me wonder if he's going to be bored this fall when both R & A are in school 5 days a week.  He's not used to having things calm and quiet, I guess. 

2 comments:

Jacquie Wallace said...

What a fun post! It's been a full week for me... I imagine it's been extra full for all the kiddos. I've LOVED seeing their smiling faces every morning!! I CANNOT wait to get my hands on Crosby next year!

PS - Your mom looks so pretty even in that heat just hanging out at the river!

His Doorkeeper said...

What a wonderful post Jamie! Made me miss VBS so much! Next year maybe I will be there! I love seeing your kids make so many memories with your parents!
I agree with Jacquie! Mo looks beautiful !! Grandkids become her very well!! :)

Thanks for helping with crafts!