Part two of our trip to Flippin:
Saturday morning Mom made a big breakfast: biscuits and chocolate gravy (A's favorite), browned ham and scrambled eggs. After breakfast Mom and Alexee went out to feed and check cows. Meanwhile, Dad and Rhett had made a plan to go cut down a tree. Rhett likes to cut wood, and I'm glad he gets the chance to do that in the country because there are not many trees to cut down here in the cul-de-sac! Crosby and I went along with them, and I soon realized it was a bigger project that what I first thought. The dead tree Dad had in mind was HUGE, and it was right against the fence.

We dropped him off then drove through another gate into the field so we could watch from a very safe distance.
He took part of the fence down then started cutting....and cutting...and cutting. It took a while to saw through that trunk.
Mom was on the phone with my sister, explaining that Dad couldn't answer his phone because he had the big idea to cut down a tree this morning. Alexee used her time to gather a bouquet of bitterweed (sneeze!).

(When we got back to the house later, Mom got out a photo album from 1979. This was me standing in the same field within a few yards of where Rhett and Alexee are standing in the picture above. I was just a little older than Crosby is now.)
He took part of the fence down then started cutting....and cutting...and cutting. It took a while to saw through that trunk.
Mom was on the phone with my sister, explaining that Dad couldn't answer his phone because he had the big idea to cut down a tree this morning. Alexee used her time to gather a bouquet of bitterweed (sneeze!).
(When we got back to the house later, Mom got out a photo album from 1979. This was me standing in the same field within a few yards of where Rhett and Alexee are standing in the picture above. I was just a little older than Crosby is now.)
Dad yelled that the tree was about to fall, so I had the camera ready. It made a loud creaking/popping/cracking sound as it fell--it was kind of scary!
Boom!

Rhett was excited to run over and stand on the stump.

This picture shows how big it was! Don't they look tiny standing beside it?



I LOVE THIS PICTURE.
Rhett wanted Dad to go ahead and cut up a few logs so he could load them into the farm buggy and haul them home. He was working hard. :)
Love this one, too.
Sadly, we had to leave that afternoon so we didn't get to see the project all the way through, but Dad said he went back and worked for a few more hours that day. Hopefully winter won't be as long and snowy as last year, but I guess they are prepared if it is!
***
After lunch Rhett wanted to ride the mini-dirt bike before we had to leave. Now that he's a pro on his regular bicycle, this little dirt bike is really fun for him. He made lots of laps around the yard.


And I couldn't resist, I had to take a turn. It was so fun! I looked ridiculous on it--ha! Maybe I need a slightly bigger one so I can ride with Rhett. :)

He's really focused here!

Good job, R!
And I couldn't resist, I had to take a turn. It was so fun! I looked ridiculous on it--ha! Maybe I need a slightly bigger one so I can ride with Rhett. :)
Another flashback from 1979. I think I've always liked motorcycles.



5 comments:
That little dirt bike looks like so much fun! I wanted to tell you about this (don't mean to be creepy) but sometimes I read blogs on my phone at night right before bed and I end up having dreams about my blog friends. Well, last night I dreamt that I was babysitting Crosby and I took him to a baseball game. I'm not sure where we were or who the team was, but he had a lot of fun. I think he mostly liked the cotton candy. ha! Sooo random, but I have been having these crazy dreams! :)
Once again, I LOL at you on the tiny bike!! I'm so glad you and the kids had fun at home. Can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving...
I think when Steve and Randy retire someday they should team up and have a tree-cutting business! Steve loves to cut down trees!
Love the flashbacks of you.....so sweet!!
LOVE your flashback pics--super cute!
City kids love to go to the country. I am looking forward to Thanksgiving and my Houston and San Antonio grands coming to the country! I like the young pictures of you.
BABS
Post a Comment