Rhett was out of school last Thursday and Friday for staff training or something like that, so we took the opportunity to make a trip to see my parents. We can always find something fun to do there, even if the weather turns from fall to winter overnight! Brrrrr!
There are still some pretty leaves hanging on
It was very cold and windy on Thursday, but we bundled up and played outside some anyway. When Dad got home, the kids helped him carry in some firewood for the first fire of the season. Mom made a roast, potatoes, carrots, green beans, rolls and cole slaw--one of my favorite meals. Yum!
Friday morning Mom went to the ranch to work cattle, so we went along. We weren't any help at all--in fact I think we probably made so much noise that we just scared the cattle even more. The kids thought it was fun though. There's a small office attached to the barn there, and Rhett and Alexee had fun playing "bank". Crosby liked pushing on the huge hay bales, and they all got to play with a tiny calf that my cousin had in a pen.
They pretended this was their armored car that belonged to the bank.

Alexee doing some calculations and drinking a Coca-Cola.
The weatherman predicted it would get to 60 degrees that afternoon, but I don't think it ever did. At least the wind wasn't blowing, so it didn't feel as cold. Crosby's current favorite thing to do is "ride farm buggy". We took a ride to the river bottom to count the cows and look at the river. Rhett is doing a great job driving--he gets more confident each time.
This "turtle" is a toy from my childhood. C thought it was a lot of fun!
Friday evening we packed up hot dogs, s'mores and drinks and went to the cabin for dinner. It's about a 25 minute drive from my parents' house. The leaves were pretty on the hillsides, and we even saw a goat running down the middle of the road--ha! That's not something we see here every day. 
Mo & Crosby on the deck

Crosby wanted to bring this red car with him. He drove it around all over the place.


Rhett loved the campfire. He spent most of his time there.

dinner time
Alexee looked for bugs, shells, flowers, etc. She's such a little collector. When it came time to roast marshmallows, she put hers on a stick and warmed it for about 3 seconds. She didn't want it to be burned at all. 
White River

She was excited to find a live ladybug.


Rhett begged to spend the night at the cabin, but we weren't really prepared to stay so we went back to Mom and Dad's and they "camped" in the living room. :) Dad, Rhett and Alexee slept there all night. 
Enjoying the Great Indoors!



3 comments:
have we talked about this before--they my parents have a "cabin" too and a house??? This is really weird, but I love it! :) It looks like ya'll had a blast! The bottled coke has my mouth watering-yum! :) You do such a great job of documenting all of these precious memories with your family! :) I loved seeing all of the pics. :)
Looks like you all had a great trip!! I'm so ready for some cold weather. A's coke looked so tasty.
My inlaws still have my husband's little "turtle" rider thing. They have kept a lot of his old toys and things (he's an only child). I still ride that thing in their unfinished basement. I doubt I'll be able to squat down on it the next time we go visit though, haha. You will surely enjoy all of these posts when you go look back on them. You do a really good job at documenting and getting pictures of all these memories! I wish I had more pictures of my and my grandparents when I was your kids' age!
Post a Comment