Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fall Retreat

The kids & I just returned from a really fun trip with friends. Two college friends and their little boys joined us for a White River retreat. We had such a good time together--the kids all did great. We drove to Flippin Monday afternoon and spent two nights at the river house. Holly brought dinner for Monday night, and my Mom came down to see us and brought us a red velvet cake--yum! After breakfast Tuesday morning, we went outside and spent most of the day enjoying the beautiful weather. My parents loaned us their farm buggy, so we went on several site-seeing rides. On one of those rides we came across both a snake and a tarantula! I tried to run over the snake...in a non-enclosed vehicle...I was screaming and praying it didn't pop up over the side and land on my feet!!!! We only made him mad, and he slithered back into the grass. Just a few yards down the dirt road, Heather spotted a tarantula. We stopped to let the boys get a closer look at it. Tuesday evening my Mom and Grandparents came down and helped us with a camp fire--we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows for the kids and we had chili. After the kids were asleep we had apple cider and watched some of the election day news. Wednesday morning H & H packed up to make the long drive back to Texas, and the kids and I went to Mom and Dad's for another night. Rhett helped Mom feed and made a trip to the shop with Dad when he got home. My aunt and cousin & my cousin's new baby boy came by for a visit, too. This morning we stopped by the barn for a quick pony ride before making the drive back home. It's been such a super fun week--I told Heather that I hope we can make this a fall tradition with the kids! It's always good to be home safely and sleep in my own bed though--we missed Lane and Bogart! Click here to see the photo album from our trip.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my word, I am laughing out loud at the "pirate" picture of us!! Holly looks like she's ready to take care of business. Brooks and I had such a fun time "camping" with you guys. Can't wait to do it again next year...hopefully minus the crazy AR gas station man. Tonight during our prayers, Brooks thanked God for "Jamie & Rhett" and I added Alexee too. We love all three of you and baby Garner too!!

Jacquie said...

Your pictures are so good. You have an eye for photos like your mom. That river place is great. Your grandparents let us have a fish fry there on a float trip. Beautiful!!

I saw cowboy Rhett this morning feeding with your mom. He is so cute!!!! (I just want to take him home with me.)

Kelly said...

What a fun time!!! I'm glad ya'll got to have a great visit together!

In His Army said...

What great pictures. It looked SO fun! I'd have given anything to see you trying to run over that snake--got a little bit of your Grandmother in ya do you? Remember when she chased and armadillo around the whole riverbottom with all of us grandkids in the back?! I bet the boys thought that was big stuff to see the snake and try to run over it!!

The Allens said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition to start!

The Keltons said...

What beautiful pictures of our trip. We had so much fun. I am up for a traditional fall trip each year if ya'll are.

Flo and Grace said...

Looks like ya'll had a great time with mother nature! You are looking great!

Twice as Nice said...

Wow your do on mine and twin's birthday!! We're having a give away and would love for you to be a part of it :o)