Thursday, March 18, 2010

Well-child visit

Rhett had his 6 year old check-up after school today. Taking all three of the kids to the doctor's office is always a workout, and I'll skip most of the details! :) Note Crosby has on no pants. That's because he had a bad diaper incident on the way there. To look at the inside of my messy car, you'd think I'd surely have one of everything in there...maybe everything except for a change of clothes for Crosby. Oh well. I'm 110% sure that at this point the doctor (and everyone else) knows I don't have it together. And then there was the shot. I honestly didn't think R would get a shot today--I thought he was all caught up because of Kindergarten requirements, but there was one. Thank goodness it was only one. It wasn't pretty when he found out. I'll just leave it at that.

Today's challenges aside, I am SOOOO truly grateful for a healthy child. Every time I take one of the kids for a "well-child visit" my heart is thankful. Their health is a blessing that I thank God for EVERY day, and I never ever want to take it for granted.

Rhett weighs 52 lbs. (8oth percentile), is 47" tall (75th percentile) and meets all the milestones of a healthy 6 year old boy!

Side note: I had Dr. B look in Crosby's ears--again--and they are infected--again. They're really draining (have been for several days), so I thought this could be the case. The doctor told us to use the drops that we used right after he got the tubes put in. Those of you who have had experience with tubes, was the draining a problem for a long time, did it happen often, did the drops help, what age did your child "outgrow" ear infections, etc.?? I'd be curious to hear from you. I just really hoped we wouldn't even have to think about ear infections with him after tubes. :(

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I'm so sorry that Crosby is still having trouble with his ears. Kathryn had lots of ear infections as a baby/toddler. She didn't get her first set of tubes until 18 months old. I do remember putting in the drops right after the surgery and I think they said to use the whole bottle. I could be wrong. It's been a long time and I can't really remember all the details. With Kathryn, she got her first set of tubes in May, so she didn't have any ear infections until the fall that year. And then we found out that the tubes weren't "working properly" according to her ENT. So, we got another set of tubes. And then about a year later we had the same problem and got another set of tubes. They never really fell out (I don't think) but I guess they moved slightly to where they weren't helping with the drainage when she'd get fluid in her ears, so she kept ending up with ear infections. So, finally, for her 4th set of tubes, we got the kind called "T tubes." She got those over a year ago and they are working wonderfully. She hasn't had a problem since. The T tubes are supposed to last several years (and I think that she'll have to have them removed in a few years). To have to keep going through the surgery each time was horrible. You know what is was like when Crosby woke up from anesthesia. It isn't fun. I really do hope that his tubes work for him and that he can get past these ear infections.

pengellylove said...

Ella got tubes at 4 months due to severe and never clearing ear infections. She only had 2 or 3 ear infections with draining after tubes were placed. But, the pain didn't seem to accompany it once she had tubes. I just used drops. She didn't seem to have many problems or pain after tubes. Just some draining a couple times. Her tubes fell out on own around 2 years old? No probs since...
Mel

The Keltons said...

Duncan had tubes at 2 and they fell out at 3 1/2. Six months later, at age 4, the ear infections started again and he still has them. I asked my doctor when he would get to the age that he would not have them anymore and she said some kids have them until 6 years old. As far as the drops go, I remember putting them in right after surgery for a while and then he got one ear infection while the tubes were in and we used them then, but as far as I can remember, that was it. Hopefully the tubes will start doing there job and he won't have very many more. I know how you feel though. We have had so many ear infections between Duncan and Lucy Kate that I can spot an one a mile away.

Melissa said...

Both of my girls have had two sets of tubes. It is very common for the child to get an infection right after getting the tubes. When they do have an infection it will drain out, so you'll always know! The good thing is that it does not hurt them at all anymore! =) It was very rare for the girls to get an ear infection while having tubes, maybe 1-2 a year.

My third has had four EI now (he is 7 months) and keeps getting them while on strong antibiotics. He may need tubes if he still has an infection when we go in for a re-check next week. I told the OB I wanted to get them put in before we left the hospital after birth! I wasn't kidding!

I'm sure Crosby will be fine after a week on the eardrops. If not, at least you'll know he has an infection since you can see it draining out.

Jacquie said...

Kale got tubes at 20 months... that was IONS ago, so times and tubes I'm sure have changed. I don't remember any draining afterwards or drops for that matter. What I do remember is that before tubes he was getting 2 double ear infections a month and after tubes he was getting about 1 single ear infection a month. Not perfect, but a big improvement. I hope little C's get better soon!