Monday, February 13, 2012

Snow & Valentines

We had a (light) snow day today! Rhett was already scheduled to be out of school today due to a teacher workshop so it wasn't as exciting as usual, but the kids were still hoping for snow. We were predicted to get about 1 1/2" this morning, but we barely got a dusting before it turned to sleet and then rain.

We tried to stay busy--we couldn't leave the house because Lane took my car to the hospital. I covered the table with white paper for the kids to draw on/write Valentines messages. This didn't keep them occupied very long.
Then we played library story time. I was the librarian, Rhett the assistant librarian, Crosby the kid and Alexee the teenage sister who brought Crosby to story time. We sang songs, they danced (pictured below) and we read a few books. Rhett was busy "reserving" books for people and "transferring" materials from other libraries. He had a Post-it note system in the kitchen to tell him what library business needed to be done.
Assistant Librarian
After story time, they decided they'd better go outside and play while the snow lasted. They threw snow balls and made snow angels. Their new snow suits and snow boots were great! I wonder if we'll have any more winter weather before spring? Of course the year I was finally prepared with snow clothes for the kids we've had the mildest winter ever! Oh well.
snow ball action shot!
:)
Then we came in for hot chocolate, which they didn't actually drink because it was "too hot"--ha!
Then we made Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Valentine Cookies. The dough has to chill for two hours, so we rolled out the cookies after A & C took naps. Alexee said she wasn't tired but slept a little over 2 hours. Crosby was up at 5:50 this morning. I hurried upstairs when I heard him moving around, but he had already turned the lights on in both Rhett's and Alexee's rooms and was standing in Alexee's floor with a Barbie guitar, singing. :) I turned the lights off (they somehow slept through his singing) and quickly carried him downstairs and turned Little Einsteins on for him. I thought he'd be really tired at nap time, but he started crying after not quite an hour...frustrating. So I went to get him, and he kept crying really hard. I brought him to the couch, sat down with him, and he fell asleep in my lap and slept for 45 more minutes. He NEVER does that! It was so sweet to get to hold him while he was sleeping--that hasn't happened in a long long time. Rhett was covered up on the couch reading a book and I think I fell asleep for a few minutes too.
This afternoon they took turns doing the sprinkles on the cookies.
Can you see the chocolate on Crosby's face? :)
We've been working on valentines for the kids' classmates...65 total! I hope the weather cooperates so they can all have their parties tomorrow!
Crosby's Love Bug valentines (idea from Pinterest, printable here). I taped a sucker to the back of each one.
Rhett's say "You rock" and have Pop Rocks candy attached.
Alexee painted all these flowers herself (I bought card stock cut-out flowers at Hobby Lobby), then we stuck a Tootsie Pop in the middle and the leaves say "xoxo Alexee". I meant to add some sort of saying/more decoration to these, but I waited until tonight to finish them and I was too tired. I made little polka-dot candy bags for A's and C's teachers, and I plan to pick up flowers and candy to take to R's teacher at the party tomorrow afternoon.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, FRIENDS!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Happy Valentines Day! I love what you made as the children's Valentines!

Candy said...

Yay for snow, how fun! We just got rain...Ella wanted it to snow SOOOO bad!!! The cookies look delish! LOVE all the Valentine's for the kids' classes-Pinterest is the best! :) Happy V Day to ya'll! :)

sandra said...

65 valentines! Wow. Good job Mommy!