Saturday, November 24, 2007

Our Holiday Weekend

I love Thanksgiving! Wednesday evening we drove up to my parents' for the holiday. That night Dad grilled steaks and we celebrated my birthday with red velvet cake! (I can't post pictures right now...more on that later.) R loved blowing out the candles, and A planted her whole hand into the delicious cream cheese icing and loved it! I was thinking how much fun she is going to have eating her first birthday cake in a few months. My sister and her family arrived Wednesday night too. After the kids went to bed, Mic & I helped Mom in the kitchen until almost midnight. Thursday morning was crazy around the house as we finished up things for lunch and all took turns getting dressed while others watched the kids. My grandparents came over and we had a wonderful meal together. I am so grateful for my family!

We came home yesterday afternoon. When we walked in the house, we noticed that the clocks were blinking in the kitchen so we just assumed that the power had gone out for a while during our trip. But then we realized that the TV in the living room was dead, the heater upstairs wasn't working, the power was still out upstairs, the phones & cable modem were out, and the lawn sprinkler box was messed up. There was a big storm on Wed. afternoon (we drove through some really heavy rain), so I guess lightning caused all this damage! :( Lane was disappointed that the football game hadn't recorded, but he was able to catch the last few minutes and the overtime. He spent most of the evening working on the things that were broken...the heater company has 24 hour service, so a repairman came out and fixed the circuit board for a depressing $400+. Someone is scheduled to come out to work on the phones, internet and TV on Monday. I'm just so thankful that the lightning didn't cause a fire! I'll post Thanksgiving pictures after we get our home internet working again...I can't do it here from L's work laptop.

This morning we went to breakfast at Cracker Barrel, then L's parents came up to visit for the day. They had not seen the kids in a while...they were excited to see A crawling, pulling up on things and waving. It was great to be able to spend time with them today.

Hope you had a great holiday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your circuit board. Consider that your house's early Christmas gift!

Schäfer just started waving this week too! It's so fun! He can wave if people say "bye bye" in English or "zaijin" in Chinese.

Kelly said...

Sorry about losing power to everything - that is not fun to come home too. I'm glad you had a good holiday anyway and I'm looking forward to pictures!
I'm glad Lane caught the end of the game - it was a doozy!!!

Anonymous said...

Jamie - that is no fun to come home to. We just got back today and walked into a puddle of water in our kitchen (our refrigerator had leaked where the hose is plugged in for the ice maker). It didn't do any damage, just a huge mess to clean up (an a hose to replace sometime). And we forgot to turn our heat on, so it was 50 degrees in our house!