Back in October I mentioned the upcoming 5K for Clay, a brave young boy fighting leukemia. Last Saturday, December 8th, was the event and it went extremely well--what a PRAISE! I'm really thankful that the Lord put this on my sister's heart--she did such a wonderful job coordinating it all. There were numerous people from the church and community that worked many hours to plan and prepare, and God truly blessed it in a BIG way. There was an amazing response (over 200 participants--many of them classmates of Clay's) for the 5K and a crowd for the live auction. Again, people were very generous to donate items and services making it a great success for Clay and his family.
The kids got to skip school on Friday so that we could go up Thursday evening to help Micaela with some last-minute things. It was a busy busy weekend! Friday was also the farm luncheon that Mom helps with every year so Thursday night she was baking a red velvet cake and side dishes. Micaela and I tried to help her cook. To add to the excitement, one of Mom's cows had a set of triplets early that very morning--her first-ever, live set! (According to the internet, triplet births in beef cattle are one per 105,000!) They were all healthy but needed some assistance with their eating at first, so Mom had to bottle-feed two of them that weekend. Crosby was up very early on Friday morning so we went with Mom to see/feed the calves. I wish I had a picture of C holding the bottle for one of them, but I didn't have a camera with me at the time.
The day they were born--aren't they sweet!
Later that morning we all went to the church to finish assembling the registration bags and move all the auction items out of storage. Jacquie had everything SO organized with lists and labels and more lists--it was great!)
(why won't this text left-align??)
We went from there to the farm lunch to see everyone and enjoyed a delicious but quick meal there. (Didn't think to take any pictures.) Then that afternoon Jeryn and Alexee went with Mom to feed cattle while Crosby, Rhett and Jaiden went with Mario, Mic, Brent (their neighbor) and me to do some more things for Saturday. C helped move water coolers, R and J helped get things ready for the auction and they handed out t-shirts at early check-in at the high school gym. It was so sweet to see them at work for such a great cause. They've been praying for Clay for months!
Mario was a huge help keeping Crosby entertained on the gym floor while we worked at the desk.
Clay's wonderful art teacher and some of her students made this banner for the kids to run through at the starting line.
Several ladies from church organized a breakfast for the race participants. It was held in the school cafeteria immediately after the race. The auction also took place in the cafeteria, and Dad was the auctioneer (which he'd never done before) but did an awesome job. (It seemed like a tiring assignment...the auction went on for about an hour and a half). He'd been practicing tongue-twisters to help him get ready! This is the one he'd said for us several times: :)
Betty Botter bought a bit of butter.
The butter Betty Botter bought was a bit bitter
And made her batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter
Makes better batter.
So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter,
Making Betty Botter's bitter batter better.
I think we were probably all asleep within 30 seconds of our heads hitting ours pillows that night. It had been a long day. The kids stayed up later than usual, and we knew we would be rushing around to get ready to go on Saturday.
The kids' fun run started at 9:00. They did some stretches to get ready. It was cloudy, but really not that cold (for December)--so glad we had good weather!
Jeryn is super fast like his mom--that's him way out in front! He loves to run.
Jaiden, Jeryn, Rhett, Brycen & Adrianne (my cousin's kids)
Mom putting the timer chip on her shoe.
An amazing $14,500 was raised for Clay and his family that day! Thank you to all who participated and prayed for this event. PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR CLAY IN THE WEEKS AHEAD. They are currently seeking approval from their insurance company to go to Johns Hopkins for further treatment/a bone marrow transplant. (If you'd like to read more, you can go to http://www.facebook.com/events/421959241201628.)
















4 comments:
So glad I got to be a part of this!
Y'all didn't mention that triplets!! That's cool!
What an amazing day! Praise indeed.
I learned the tongue twister this way:
Betty Botter bought some butter,
but, she said, this butter is too bitter.
So Betty Botter bought some better butter to make her bitter butter.
Interesting how different the version I learned is from the one you listed! I said it to my nephews over Thanksgiving and they thought it was hilarious. Now I'm afraid I've taught it wrong!
Those triplets are adorable, and I'm so glad the event went well!
Ah! Left off the last word of the last line - should say 'to make her bitter butter better'.
Post a Comment