Christmas Eve morning was kind of different for me this year--I think it might have been the first one ever that I woke up to an empty house. My sister had invited the kids to spend the night with her the night before (which they were SO excited about), and Lane had to leave for work really early. I tried to take advantage of the unusual situation and sleep in, but I was wide awake by 7:00. So I started some Christmas music and enjoyed having coffee before starting the cooking for Christmas Eve dinner. I was able to get a lot done around the house, then I left around 10:45 to go to my sister's house to visit and pick up the kids. This is the only picture I have from their sleepover, but they had a really really fun time with their cousins. Crosby was trying on the new Stompeez that my parents sent him (via Micaela when she was home recently--they sent each of the grandkids one gift to open early. This was something C had wished for! Aren't they cute?)

Our menu for that night:
Honeybaked Ham
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Green Beans
Cranberry Fluff
Rolls
Red Velvet Cake

I wanted the kids to have a chance to give a Christmas gift to someone else, so we delivered a plate of Red Velvet Cookies to our district fire station. There were three fire fighters on duty, and they invited us in to look at the fire truck and tour the station. It was really fun and interesting. The fire fighters were impressed that a 4 year old knew exactly what type of truck they had!
RED velvet seemed appropriate not only for Christmas but for a fire station (and we saved a few for Santa's plate that night).
RECIPE:
1 red velvet cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 T water
2 eggs
12 oz. pkg. white chocolate chips
Combine all ingredients; mix well. Drip by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets (or parchment paper--my favorite kitchen item) Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from baking sheets. Makes 3 dozen. These are easy and yummy!
The driver on duty was so nice and welcoming and answered lots of questions from the kids.
We came home to finish up a few things for dinner and change clothes for the 4:30 candlelight service at church. We had plans to meet Kyle, Jillian and Jack there. The service was FULL--standing room only--it was great! Kyle and Jillian were so sweet to save us seats. Sadly, Lane had to work that day. We missed having him there with us. I always love a candlelight service though. Such a beautiful reminder of the Light of Christ in our lives.
Kyle took this one of Alexee, which I loved:
Afterward the Boyingtons came over for dinner--I'm so glad they did! It was great to have holiday guests. The kids LOVE Jack and just could not stay away from him. They loved his tiny sweater and tiny socks and his mustache paci. They wanted to help feed and burp him and hold him. Poor guy--he probably had more attention than he actually wanted!
Kyle shared these next few photos with us, which I thought were super cute! He captured Jack's puzzled look when the kids put toy firetrucks and motorcycles in his lap.
So thankful for these dear friends!
C trying a baby sock on A's toe.
That night the kids left carrots and cookies for Santa, and Rhett wrote a letter from our family. Crosby and Alexee also wrapped up a few gifts for Santa (the Santa-beard Christmas countdown from C and clay ornaments from A).
Soon they were all snuggled in their beds. I love Christmas Eve! They were so excited, and could not wait for morning to arrive! I requested they hang out upstairs until at least 6:45 a.m., which they did, but I got a text from Rhett at 6:41 a.m. that said "It's time in 4 min." :)
















1 comments:
Such sweetness. That candlelit shot of Alexee is so pretty.
Post a Comment