Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A virus

I haven't posted in several days because we've been busy dealing with a very unpleasant virus around here. In my last post I mentioned that Alexee had (what I thought was) a stomach bug. I wish it had just been that because those are usually a quick 24-hour thing. She's been a very sick little girl since Friday night. She threw up on me at McAlister's Friday evening, during the night, and then all day Saturday. Sunday morning I could tell she had fever as soon as I picked her up out of her bed. It was 102.6, so Lane took her to the Children's after-hours clinic that morning. The doctor there told him it was likely Adenovirus (the gastro-related type), and could last 5-7 days. She continued to throw up (plus other issues that were even less fun) all day Sunday and Monday. She didn't have fever yesterday morning, so I thought she must be better, but we had another full day of the bug. She was finally willing to eat just a few bites today--for the first time since breakfast last Friday, and she's kept everything down. She's been very fussy and only wants to be held, so that's what I've tried to do every moment that she's awake. I'm very thankful she was able to eat a little today, and I'm hopeful that she'll feel a lot better when she wakes up in the morning.

This picture was yesterday. :( She looked so sad--it just broke my heart. Her little lips were discolored and her eyes looked so weak. I think she's probably lost a couple of pounds. Her color is a lot better today though.
I'm sure that Sonic cherry-limeade isn't exactly pediatrician-recommended, but I stopped to get Rhett and myself one after picking him up from school today so I got her one too--just in case she wanted a drink. She only took a few sips, but I was willing to try to get her to eat or drink anything. I was so worried about dehydration and lack of any calorie-intake for 5 days.
I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone! So far the rest of our family has stayed healthy--please say a little prayer that we continue to be so lucky!

On another note, I noticed tonight that the baby countdown on the right says 53 days to go. It truly seems like JUST last week that I was excited to see it go under the 100 day mark. I don't know where those 47 days went, but if the last 53 go as fast (and I feel sure that they will...or faster!), then I need to get in gear! Lane plans to paint the to-be office this weekend, then we can move things out of the current office (to-be nursery) and start getting everything set up and organized. Maybe I'll have some progress pictures to post after the weekend.

12 comments:

The Keltons said...

I feel for you and Alexee. Duncan had a somewhat less severe episode of that a few weeks ago and it lasted about 4 days. Hope she is feeling up to eating again soon.

Jessica said...

Yeah for good ol' Sonic! It will cure just about anything. : )

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Alexee. Poor thing!

His Doorkeeper said...

Jamie, So sorry Alexee has been so sick. Hope the rest of the famiy stays well.....you especially! When Mama gets sick...the whole family suffers!


Saying prayers for all of you! You are getting closer to your due date! WOW!

We've Got Scents said...

Jamie, I am so very sorry she has been sick:( Prayerfully she is on the mend!
Praying the rest of your family remains well.
Take GOOD care of yourself.
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

Kayla said...

Poor thing. I pray that things get better and you all stay virus-free! Oh, those pictures just break my heart!

Anonymous said...

Aww... I hope she is feeling better soon. That sounds rough!

Pigtails & Pearls said...

bless her heart!!

Flo and Grace said...

ok now i feel bad for saying i like kids to be sick somrtime! not that sick! i hope she gets to feel better soon - poor girl!

Jacquie said...

Poor Alexee!! I hope she's feeling better by now.

Your pregnancy is flying by!!

Anonymous said...

I totally would have given her a Sonic too! Desperate times call for desperate measures! I'm glad she took a few sips. I don't like it when Schäfer is sick, but I do like the snuggle!

Heather said...

The first pic of A made me so sad. I'm so thankful she's all better!!