Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mischievous


This one is sweet, cute, funny...and a little mischievous. This morning we were in R's drop-off line at school, frantically searching for belongings before time for him to hop out of the car. Monday we couldn't find his shoes. Today it was his hat. I was looking under yesterday's mail and sifting through coats and gloves and blankets and diaper bags. Rhett was looking under his booster seat, between the seats, behind the seats, etc. No luck. Alexee wasn't saying a word during all of this. So I told him I'd just zip the lining in his coat and he'd have to wear the hood. He didn't really want to do that, but we were out of time. He hopped out and ran for the school door. He wasn't even out of sight yet when Alexee started giggling and said in a playful voice, "Oh, heeeere's his hat! Under me!" I asked her if she'd had that the whole time and she said, "Yes! I was sitting on it!"

This isn't new news to us though. A while back Rhett was in the living room and Alexee was in the kitchen with me. We were about to make cookies, but R wanted us to wait until he finished whatever he was doing before we started the baking.
Alexee called from the kitchen in that same playful voice: Rheeeett, we're making cookies in here!
Rhett: No, wait! Mom, are you!?
Me: No, Rhett. She's just kidding.
Alexee: Yeees, weee aaaare! (giggle giggle)
Rhett: Really?!
Me: NO! Just hurry in here!
When I picked her up from MDO yesterday, her teacher said, "Let me tell you what she did today." They put her nap mat behind the check-in counter/over beside the door because she never goes to sleep. She was being quieter than usual, so the teacher wondered if she might have fallen asleep. She went to take a closer look and found that Alexee was tearing the foam out of her nap-mat pillow, piece by piece, and tossing it under the crack in the classroom door. Another teacher walked by out in the hallway and saw a little pile of foam and stuck her head in the room to see what was going on. Here's what her pillow looks like now:
___________________________________

Well, things can change so quickly with kids. Before I even finished typing the part of the post above, I heard crying on the monitor and rushed to Alexee's room to find that the stomach bug had hit. She'd thrown up all over herself and her bed, blankets and stuffed animals. Lane stripped her bed and put clean sheets on and went to start the laundry while I gave her a shower, washed her hair and got her back in bed and rested beside her. It was a long night, and she's still not feeling good this morning (Friday). Crosby had his ENT doctor appointment at 10:30 today, and I had to take Alexee with us even though I knew it was not the ideal situation for anyone involved. I didn't want to cancel because I was afraid it would take a long time to get back in and C will be done with his antibiotic in a few days and I knew we'd likely have to start the whole infection process all over again. Crosby needs to get tubes, and he is scheduled for that next week. :( We are back home now and both kids are sleeping. Hopefully no one else will catch the bug. If Lane and I don't after the exposure we had to it last night it will be a miracle!

She just NEVER falls asleep on the couch. Bless her heart.

3 comments:

Kelly’s Korner said...

I'm hoping ya'll never got sick. We have now all 3 had it at our house and it's been horrible. I'm sorry Crosby has to have tubes but he will probably feel like a new man! I hope it helps his little ears.
Life is never boring, huh?

on the eastern journey said...

Alexee and Schafer would get along just fine! Now that I can't keep my eye on him 24/7, I find that he's very mischievous.

Jacquie said...

Alexee is so funny!!

That stomach bug is making its way across the country, isn't it? I hope the rest of y'all don't get it. C will probably be SO much better after the tubes... Kale had to have them and his 2-double ear infections a month went down to about 1-single ear infection a month and then he outgrew it. He lived on antibiotics back then.