Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Day-First Grade

Here are a few pictures from the school Meet & Greet on Tuesday evening. Rhett's teacher seems very nice--we're looking forward to a good year!

Standing beside his assigned seatHis classroom
R and his new teacher, Mrs. HThe playground seemed to go on forever--it didn't look this big from the road! Of course R was excited about that!
The library is two-story. Upstairs is this neat reading area. Rhett made himself at home in one of the mini-recliners. _________________________________
Thursday:
He's been excited about school, but he had a little bit if difficulty going to sleep last night. I guess a few last-minute nerves got to him. I went up to check on him and he said, "Summer went by too fast, and I'm going to miss being with you all day". :( I didn't sleep well either...I didn't want him to be sad this morning, plus Crosby has been running a fever since we got home from Branson on Tuesday so I was worried about him. I was thankful this morning that Rhett didn't seem anxious at all and Crosby's fever was down to 99.7. Rhett said he was still sleepy (I was too!), but he got up and made his bed (without me reminding him) and came downstairs to eat a quick breakfast and get dressed. Lane was able to stay home with A & C, which made first day drop-off a lot easier. I walked Rhett inside. Everything was so quiet in his classroom! He hung his backpack and lunch box on a hook, wrote his name on the board for "sign-in" and went to his seat. His teacher told us at open house that their classroom seemed to stay really cool (59 degrees, she said), so he might want to pack a sweatshirt. When I left today, he had his sweatshirt zipped up with the hood on!

Our big First-GraderLane took him for a fresh back-to-school haircut yesterday afternoon.
Walking in

He liked the school mascot that was greeting students at the door!
I liked the beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers in the entry-way...a welcoming touch! :)


Bundled up and ready to learn!
I walked back to the car and sat in the parking lot for a few minutes praying for R, his friends, the teachers/staff and the safety of the school this year. I wasn't even really sad, but just super thankful for a healthy little boy who has the opportunity to attend a wonderful school...two big blessings that I do not want to take for granted.

To everyone else starting back to school, I hope you have a great year!

6 comments:

Jacquie said...

This is the ONLY time that I wish for like 1 second that I was a teacher. Ha!!

I LOVE first day of school photos and R's are SO cute!! I pray he'll have a good year!!

PS - We leave fairly early on that Friday for Houston, but I think we will be getting back on that Tuesday around 11 or so. That may be perfect for a lunch date. But, all three of us are going... so you might be outnumbered. We know NOTHING about LR, so you will have to order us around. Ha!

Flo and Grace said...

That school looks beautiful!! It is so sweet to hear that from your kiddos...that they enjoy being with you! I hope it's that way always. Grace starts next week. : )

Leslie said...

I can't believe he is a first grader. I must be really emotional right now, because this post brought tears to my eyes. I hope you all have a wonderful year at school!

Candy said...

I loved this post! His school looks really nice, HUGE classrooms compared to ours! LOVE that you said you went out to your car, sat and prayed. Thank you for sharing that part! I have been stressing the past couple of days about the new school year, new teacher to get adjusted to, etc for Ethan and after I read what you wrote---I was reminded that all I need to do is PRAY!!! I have been praying about this school year, but not about these certain issues that I have been troubled by. I hope R has a GREAT school year! :)

Sharmin said...

I'm glad R had a good first day. Logan told me he didn't really need me to walk with him...but I did anyway, I just told him there was lots of traffic on the first day. I think we are all going to have a great year....how can I not in my new classroom!?!

His Doorkeeper said...

Rhett looked so grown up! Nice looking teacher and school...I know he will do great! Why so cold at the school? I would have to put on some longhandles!! 59ish....brrrrrrr!