Well, on a positive note, Alexee seemed to like this dress better than the first one I made for her! ha! I made her a matching headband, so I think that might have done it for her.
But there are a LOT of negatives. I'm going to have to consider this a practice dress, restock on materials and try again. (Please don't laugh at the pictures below...this was only the second dress I've ever made and I had nothing at all to go by except the small picture of the MJ dress that I posted yesterday!!) :)
Some of the issues:
1. I managed to get it too tight at the top even though I thought I measured correctly. That's why she's not wearing a shirt underneath--it was really snug with the shirt!
2. My seams were way too thick and made the side of the dress look funny. I'm not happy with that at all. After looking at some of the dresses in A's closet (which I should have done earlier), I realized that I'm making the seams too wide and not using the right kind of stitch. I guess I'm going to have to get out the machine owner's manual or something. I'm not a big fan of looking up things.
3. I made the ties too wide. I could still fix those because they're only attached by pins right now, but since that's definitely not the dress's only problem, I don't think I'll bother with it. Just making a note for next time.
4. I think it needs to be a little shorter so it will come to her knees instead of below. I was completely guessing on how much material to buy, so I didn't get quite enough of the main fabric. I'll try to make it a little fuller next time--mine turned out too straight.
Sewing tips/pointers welcome!




7 comments:
It's still cute as can be. No help or advice from me... my family refers to me as "Peg Bundy". :)
Great job, Jamie! Adorable! I love the headband too! So cute!
Are the tights MJ?
wow, your fast! no wonder she loves the headband, TOO cute!!!
Jamie check out this website maybe it will give you some ideas on how to put a dress together out of a dress you find a thrift store or something. It is kind of interesting. It is an interesting blog too.
http://newdressaday.wordpress.com/
Jamie, Seeing how I can't sew a lick, I think you are too hard on yourself! The dress looks darling and I love how A is doing the "model-hands-on-her-hip" pose!
Such a darling dress and what a little model you have on your hands!
Maybe I need to send Casey your way. She got that sewing ability/love of sewing gene that Mama Hopper and Mom both have. It skipped my generation....but I did make a curtain for the basement last week.
I think the dress is adorable, just let the seams out a little bit in the top and it should fit just fine.
Post a Comment