Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Alexee--back to school

Yesterday was Alexee's first day back to MDO. She did just fine. She was kind-of shy with her new teachers before I left, but she'd had fun and was sitting in circle-time listening to story when I went in to pick her up. I think she looks so big in these pictures! I love that her hair is long enough for little pig-tails!Last night we met a few friends at a pizza place for a fun back-to-school dinner. Although they are in different classrooms, Rhett will get to see his buddies on the playground, so that makes me feel better knowing he'll have friends close by.


(Aidan, Garret, Lawson & Rhett enjoying their cheese pizza)
Rhett's last official day at home with me today was not quite as picturesque as I'd hoped, but I guess that's how things go. I'd planned to take the kids to get ice cream, maybe go to the park, or do something fun like that. Instead we spent nearly two hours at the ortho-hand doctor this morning having Alexee's finger checked (I never posted about that because I want to try to forget that it happened, but I accidentally shut her finger in the front door two weeks ago today and the nail has almost completely fallen off). Today was the first appointment available at the ortho doc. I think I was honestly having an anxiety attack when the doctor came in because they'd put us in a VERY small room (us being me and three kids) and the room was really hot--or seemed that way to me. When Dr. M opened the door, Rhett sighed and said, "FINALLY." I apologized, but the doctor just started laughing and said that was the funniest thing he'd heard all day. He said he has three kids, and could totally relate. I was so thankful for his kindness and gentleness toward Alexee. He thinks the nail should grow back with no problems, so we didn't have to do anything too painful today.

So then we went through the car wash, went by the bank and came home for lunch. Somehow in the course of eating lunch at the bar, like the kids always do, Alexee fell off the bar stool and chipped her front tooth on the kitchen counter. At first I thought she bumped her head and elbows, so I was holding her and trying to get her to stop crying while checking those places. Then she said, "my toof", and that sick feeling hit me. I had her open her mouth and sure enough, a little chip was missing from the top, front tooth. I burst into tears, she was crying, Rhett was looking really concerned--asking if we were going to be okay, and I sat in the floor and cried. Called Mom, cried some more, then cried every time I thought about it this afternoon. It's not loose, and it's not really that big of a chip, and there was no blood, so I'm HOPING it won't turn gray and/or fall out!? I know overall this is so very minor and things could be waaaaay worse--I'm thankful she didn't hurt her head, etc.

Soooo, all that to say that we didn't make it to get ice cream today. We stayed home the rest of the afternoon--trying not to get hurt. We did make cookies--I guess I felt like I should do something fun for them before school starts TOMORROW! Speaking of that, I have a lunch to pack and forms to fill out, so I'd better get busy. The tardy bell rings at 7:40 a.m.--this should be interesting! I pray that we have an easy transition and that he LOVES kindergarten! Say a little prayer for us in the morning if you have a chance! :)

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I will be praying for you tomorrow (well today).
And thanks for sharing about your day - I know it wasn't funny to you but part of it was to me - well Rhett saying "Finally" and it made me feel better that you have days like that because I feel like I have a lot of days like that. :-)

His Doorkeeper said...

it is 6:15 am and I will pray for your day as soon as I mail this to you!!!

Don't worry Jamie, Alexee will be fine. I had to take Kelly to the ER when she was 18 mos. old and fell on her head and I bawled and bawled...more than her! And then they gave me the third degree at the ER to make sure I didn't abuse her ! I felt terrible!

Have a wonderful day at school Rhett!!

Karen Cleveland said...

Rhett is going to have a great first day!! Your day sounds like a lot of mine--you never know how the day is going to end up!! Alexee's tooth should be fine (you know that Dr. Heard is a GREAT dentist if you need someone to check it for you:). Cooper fell down ALL the stairs when he was about 17 months old and he knocked a tooth out!! I cried for days about it and then I just had to take a step back and Thank God that missing a tooth was the only thing that happened--he could have been hurt so badly. Hope you guys have a good day (and that you make it on time--7:40 is too early!)

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. Only 5 more hours and she will be here :)

We've Got Scents said...

Praying your day goes well and hope Rhett LOVES 'big' school!
So sorry about all of the mishaps yesterday:(
Blessings today and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

on the eastern journey said...

Alexee's pigtails are so sweet.