Thursday, August 27, 2009

A fun Thursday

We have had a really fun day. Rhett being in Kindergarten, or "KG" as he called it tonight, has made things seem so different around here in many ways. Somehow him starting school has made Alexee seem a lot more "grown-up", almost overnight. She's the big kid during the day now, and it seems like she's changing so fast. She did turn 2 1/2 this month, and I think there's such a BIG difference between age 2 and age 3, so maybe that's part of it. Anyway, Alexee had her first official playdate invitation--without big brother--today. My friend Kristy (we used to work together in public accounting) invited us to her house to play. Her older daughter is in school, and her younger is A's age. Another accounting friend, Madelynn, came with her little boy. I hadn't seen them in a really long time, and it was great to get to catch up while the kids played. Thanks so much for having us over, Kristy--I hope we can get together again soon!

Garrett, Alexee and Lindsey found lots of fun stuff to play with:
Crosby slept through most of the visit, but he did wake up long enough to meet everyone. It was so cute how much Lindsey liked him!
Alexee was impressed with their pet hermit crabs! (Please look through the glass coffee table and notice Alexee's sandals...she put them on herself and refused to listen when I told her they'd be more comfortable if she'd switch them to the right feet. She also wanted to wear this tiny baby bow in her hair.) :)
Rhett has had two non-sticker days this week due to some issues with talking in class. I felt sure this would be a problem at the beginning of the year because this boy NEVER stops talking at home--Lane says he feels sure he probably talks in his sleep. Hopefully he'll get the hang of the KG rules soon and realize that he can't talk quite as much there. He had a really good day today, and he did receive a sticker on his daily chart. I was so relieved, mostly because I was afraid he was getting discouraged. He's been so excited about school, but this morning on the way he quietly said, "I wish it was Friday". He seemed fine after school today, which made me feel better. He was assigned some sort of room helper duty today, which I think might have helped him stay focused. So after school we celebrated with a cupcake stop at the bakery:
Then we met Ali, Lawson and Maylee at a neat park near their house. This park offers much more than just swings and a slide...it has a pond with ducks and geese, lots of rocks to throw in the water, an old boat to climb on, etc. Ali and I were talking about how being there reminded us of our childhoods--we both grew up in the country and spent a lot of time by the water skipping rocks, catching crawdads, etc. The kids were so hot and tired, but they enjoyed every second of it.

Throwing bread to the ducks:
Throwing rocks:
Standing on the boat:
Standing on a tree stump, after trying to count the rings to determine its age:
Another friend, William, showed up just as we were leaving. Isn't he a cutie!? Hopefully he can get in on the rock-throwing/duck-feeding action next time!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

WHat a busy day!
I love Alexee and her shoes and bow! I dread the day Harper can express an opinion on her outfits. ha!
It's so funny that two people as quiet as you and Lane can have a son that gets in trouble for talking at school!!!! ha! I'm glad he is doing so well!

Andrea C said...

Awww Mrs. Jamie! What a blessing! I just had to get on here and see how these past few weeks have been--it comforts my heart to read about your family; I hope I can be a mommy like you one day--the cupcake reward and lunch notes are just precious!

Rhett is so brave! I pray things continue to go well. Love you guys!

Jacquie said...

I imagine Rhett has LOTS to share with the class and the teacher about life and how things work. He is too funny... as are Alexee's shoes! ha!