Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Brunch, big sister, etc.

Time for holiday clothes! They were not very cooperative (surprise!) for an after-church picture last week, but they looked cute anyway. I bought A's candy cane dress on sale after Christmas last year. Sometimes it's fun being forgetful--I was pleasantly surprised when I found it in the back of her closet this year!
I love the little lock of hair that always curls around her right eye.
They were in full silly-mode.
***
Today I hosted a brunch for the girls on our street. My neighbor/friend, Jennifer, helped me with the food, and it was a fun morning. Jennifer made pumpkin bread, blueberry scones and banana pineapple punch (very tasty). I made chili squares (recipe below--very good and easy--also one of Jennifer's recipes), cherry-pineapple dump cake, fruit dip and pumpkin spice coffee. I didn't take any pictures during the party. I don't know some of the girls very well so I felt a little silly snapping pictures of them while they were trying to eat and talk!
Chili/Jalapeno Squares
6 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups cheese (2 cheddar, 2 Monteray Jack)
1 small can chopped green chili peppers (or two diced jalapenos--I used the green chilis)
2 T chopped onion

Mix all and bake approximately 30 minutes (or until set) at 350.

I even dusted off my china for the first time in many years! I should use it more often--I forgot how much I like it! Just wish it was dishwasher safe.
Another sweet neighbor also brought this dish. It's really good--I had it at her house recently, but I don't know the name of it.
***
Now that C is taking a bottle full time, R & A like to help. Today Alexee said, "I'm a good big sister." :) She's grown up so much since C was born. From the smile on his face, I think he was enjoying the attention from her. He lights up when Rhett & Alexee talk to him and make faces at him. They both love him so much. They call him "Cutie Crosby".
I love this picture of them together.
This evening Alexee wanted to point out everyone's stockings. I like seeing all the "socks" (as Alexee calls them) lined up--it's a full mantle this year!
One of the highlights of the Season for me so far was when Rhett volunteered to say the morning prayer on our way to school and he prayed, "Thank you for this Christmas Season when we can remember that You sent your Son to save us from our sins." I pray that we will keep our hearts focused on that truth this month.

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

I love that the kids call C "Cutie Crosby"... and that R prayed such a beautiful prayer.

That's a lot of stockings hung by the chimney with care. We never got to hang all of ours (too many for the fireplace), so our tradition was to lay them on the foot of the bed for "Santa" to come and fill. We'd wake up to full stockings on Christmas morning. I've done the same with my kids.

His Doorkeeper said...

Jamie, you are such a precious mother. How sweet the stockings are for the kids. And that prayer from Rhett.......does it get any better??