Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Busy Thanksgiving

After lunch at our house on Thursday, I took the kids to my Aunt Judy's for Thanksgiving with Dad's side of the family. Judy lives about 3 hours from here, so rather than go to my parents' house first and then get back in the car we just met my parents and my sister's family there. It was a different route, so that made the trip more interesting, and it didn't seem to take long at all other than the kids kept saying they were thirsty. I finally gave in and stopped for a drink at Taco Bell, which meant we had to make a second stop before long for everyone to go to the bathroom. We all had a good time visiting with family.

Photo Below: Crosby and Landon playing pool--they are three months apart; me with my sister; Rhett, Logan, Jeryn and Jaiden wrestling in the basement; Uncle Greg and Crosby playing with a car.
Stacie (cousin), me, my sister and my niece
Dad and his (2) brothers and (2) sisters are all musical. Sadly I did not get that trait. They always gather around the piano when they're together, and it's always great to listen to them play and sing. (I wish I had Greg in this picture--that's the very top of his head in the chair!)
Jaiden singing with Granddad
Lance (cousin), Mic & Mario
Greg and Rhett
We got home late and we were all tired, but I still had to have a piece of my belated red velvet birthday cake. Micaela took this picture of Mom and the cake before I arrived. I think some of the kids found the cake and cut into it while I was putting A & C down for bed, so we didn't take an "official" birthday picture of me--ha! I guess I'm too old for that anyway!? :)
Yum! Thanks, Mom!
On Friday Mom, Micaela and Mario went on a trail ride that they'd had planned since summer. It was a really pretty day for it, and I'm so glad they had a chance to go. So Dad and I were on all-day kid duty. Maybe I'll practice up on my horse skills before next time so I'll be in that group--ha! I'm just kidding. All five kids were really good and we had a fun day together. They got along great, but they were sure on the GO every minute of that day!

We decided to take the kids to McDonald's for breakfast, then go to the cabin at the river for a while. We thought Jaiden was funny because when we were getting in the car we asked who wanted something from McDonald's and she quickly responded, "Oh, not me. That stuff is unhealthy." (True, I know, but we very rarely eat it.) By the time we got there 10 minutes later she'd talked herself into a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. :)
Jaiden & Lex
Rhett & Jaiden rocking
They were using giant sticks as pencils to write in the mud
Jaiden & Rhett (7.5), Alexee & Jeryn (4.5), Crosby (2.5)
They started a game where they'd toss rocks into the water and say things like "Rock of Friendship", "Rock of Destiny", "Rock of Christ", "Rock of Cousins", "Rock of Family", "Rock of Shoes (??)"...Easy entertainment.
handsome boy (the day Hogs played LSU)
lots of space to run and run and run
That afternoon after C's nap, I dressed the kids up in their Christmas card attire and we all went to a neat restored 1-room school house for photos. I was so thankful of Dad's help. He made the kids laugh, even though Rhett said he was so mad about the picture that "no one could make him smile" and Crosby threw himself onto the ground and started crying as soon as we got out of the car because he hates button-up shirts. Alexee was a little angel and loved wearing her pretty, puffy blue Christmas dress, jewelry and new silver hair clips--she's been excited about dressing up and was super cooperative.

Saturday morning Mo made the kids chocolate gravy--their favorite
Saturday morning Mario helped the kids take a ride on the horses in the arena.
We didn't have a lot of time where we just sat and did nothing! Next on the agenda: visit friends that were in town that we hadn't seen in way too long! Micaela and I took Crosby, Alexee and Jeryn over to the Martins' house to say hello and see Kelly & family. It's always great to see them--I wish we could spend more time together. It was a brief visit, but it was fun to see the kids play together for a little while. Harper and Crosby are about the same size. They're just two months apart in age. Alexee loved Hollis and wanted to hold her. She thought it was funny that Hollis pulled her hair.
To avoid letting things get too boring, Dad decided to cut some cedar branches and make the kids all a home-made bow and arrow! They were really neat and the kids were so proud of them. They played with those things ALL afternoon and evening. (The arrows weren't sharpened, but they didn't care.) Rhett was sweet telling Alexee how to do it.
Saturday evening my Grandparents came over for dinner. Mom made baked beans, cole slaw, crockpot corn, baked potatoes and rolls and Dad grilled steaks. It was all so good! I don't think I took a single picture that night...I guess I was tired of the camera by then. I wish I had taken some though. We had a good visit with Grandmother and Granddad.

Sunday morning was busy getting packed up and getting everyone ready for church. Crosby and I didn't make it very far into the church service--he would not stop talking. I said, "Crosby, you have to whisper." And he loudly said, "SHOUT". We have that Sandra Boynton book called Opposites, which is where he learned whisper vs. shout--he loves that page and laughs every time! So I left R & A in the pew with Mic and Mario and took C to the fellowship hall for the remainder of the time.

After church we ate a quick lunch, loaded the car then met my extended family (Mom's side) for a huge family picture. I think there were 47 or 48 of us! Unfortunately Lane couldn't be in it, but we're hopeful that PhotoShop/modern technology can change that. :) I don't have one of the entire group yet, but here's one made with my phone of just the Hopper/Thomas/Garner families.
After the group photo we left for home. The 2.5 hour drive went by faster than it ever has. Maybe it was just nice to finally sit still for a little while!? It was a wonderful weekend, and I treasure every moment spent with my family. However, I have to admit that I was anxious to get home to see Lane and Bogart and sleep in my own bed and have all the kids in their own beds at the normal hour! With Thanksgiving 2011 done, now it's time to think about CHRISTMAS!

3 comments:

Candy said...

whew, ya'll have been busy! :) glad you had such a great Thanksgiving, with lots of family. LOVE all the pics! :)

His Doorkeeper said...

Love all your pictures...you were a busy family but so glad you all got to come out and visit! Just sorry Chris and Carrie were already gone! Love the pictures of Harper with your kids. Micaela sent me some cute ones too!

Jacquie Wallace said...

I always say I wish I was a "Hopper" during the holidays. Y'all have such a precious family that knows how to have fun and always spend time in worship together!! Love that!