Brandon Barnard
FBC 1-1-12
"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord. Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, 'Seek his face!' your face, Lord, I will seek." Psalm 27:4-8
We had a GREAT message at church this morning. It was exactly what I needed to hear, especially on a day like today--a day of fresh starts/new beginnings! I decided that my new year's resolution would be to try to live out this message every day.
So for the purpose of being able to easily look back at my notes, I wanted to record them here. (If you happen to read this and want to listen to the whole message, the link should be available here as of 12pm tomorrow. It would be a great way to start your year!)
*****
Notes
--SEEKING is looking with intention.
Psalm 89:15-16 "Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O lord. They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness."
--SEEKING is looking with fervency and passion.
If the passion is not there, something is not right. You may have lost your first love.
-Psalm 63:1 "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water."
Earnestly. Not lazily. Not half-heartedly.
Psalm 4:6-8 "Many are asking, 'Who can show us any good?' Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy...I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O lord, make me dwell in safety."
--SEEKING is looking with urgency.
1 Chronicles 16:11 "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always."
--SEEKING is looking with expectancy.
Not because this is works-based...that's not at all what the Bible teaches...but rather grace-based where there is (eternal!) reward. The reward is knowing/finding HIM.
-Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
-Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
-Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy...but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
--HOW?
Practically...how can we seek his face?
-His Word. Let it permeate every part of your life.
-In Prayer. Seek his face, not just his hand. While the Bible does tell us to present our requests to God, we should also pray to know him better, to be able to see his beauty/awe/majesty (Psalm 27)...not only pray for answers to our requests.
-In Fasting. A spiritual discipline. It's not just taking a break from something, but taking a break and, with PURPOSE, filling it with something else.
Closing:
Blessing from Numbers 6:24-26
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."


3 comments:
Jamie,
I popped onto your blog from Rachel's. I go to FBCLR, too, and LOVED that sermon as well! I have thought about it for 2 days straight. Seems like God is up to something big at our church.
Love
Amanda Brown
Thanks so much for sharing! Great New Years Day sermon.
Babs
Such a great blog post! Great reminder!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment