Today Rhett participated in the Little Rockers Marathon with a group from his school. The kids have been running on their own for a few months now, keeping track of their miles on cards provided by their P.E. teacher. The last mile of their marathon took place downtown at noon. I had no idea there would be so many people there! I didn't know what we were getting into at all! There were 1,800 kids running, ages 6-12, so of course it was super crowded.
Ready for the race

We had an hour before race time. We saw a few Chick-fil-a representatives, including this princess cow.
Lane dropped us off then he and Crosby went to find a parking place.
Crosby seemed tired today. He wasn't his usual cheerful self. I think spring allergies are bothering him already. :( He wasn't interested in this stroller at all. He wanted me to hold him most of the time.

Rhett and his friend/classmate, Jason, lined up in the 7 year old section

Lane and Lex

Race crowd
It was a little scary to leave Rhett in that huge group of people at the starting line. He knew my cell phone number, and I told him to ask someone to borrow their phone and call me if he somehow got separated from the group. We didn't actually get to see him run. We went straight to the claiming area to wait for him to finish the race. I was sure glad to see him arrive there! Good job, R!

Thirsty after the run

Rhett and another classmate, Javier
We were really proud of him for wanting to participate and for completing the race. However, I'm not sure if he enjoyed it or not because on the way back to our car he said, "I know one thing I won't be doing next year." ha! :)
It was 1:30 by the time we were able to pick him up and leave. We were all hungry and anxious to get some lunch. We went to Corky's and ate as fast as possible, then hurried home so Crosby could take a nap.


2 comments:
Well done Rhett!
That is awesome!!! Love his quote at the end of the race! :) My sister ran her 1st full marathon on Sun in New Orleans and I'm thinking she was prob. thinking the same thing. ha! :)
Post a Comment