Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Patriotic Pokeeno

June was my month to host our Pokeeno group for dinner. We never actually play Pokeeno any more--it's basically just a chance to get together with girlfriends and eat and visit, and we always have a great time doing just that! I thought it would be a good time to do a patriotic theme since our next meeting will be after the 4th of July. My plan was to have the party out on the deck. I made these red, white and blue pom-poms to hang outside, but when we had a record high June temperature yesterday, I decided no one would have fun sitting outside! So I decorated the dining room instead. I bought red spray roses to put in a little blue vase that I've had forever, but they looked lonely and small on the dining table so I sent my neighbor a text asking if she'd mind me cutting from her hydrangea bush (my hydrangea had 5 blooms this year--hers had probably 200!). She was sweet to let me come over and clip away! I LOVE hydrangeas...definitely in my top 5 favorite flowers, and I loved that these were kind of a periwinkle blue color...perfect for my red, white and blue theme! Hobby Lobby had cute stars & stripes plates 40% off a few weeks ago, and I covered our pencil holder with stars scrapbook paper to hold the forks.I found our summer flag in the closet and bought plants for the front porch. I should have done this a while back, but having company always pushes me to mark things off the to-do list. Now if I can just remember to water them.

Last weekend I painted this for our front door. I guess I'm in a watermelon mood!
The idea for this painting came from the cover of a recent Land of Nod catalog.
More red: cherry tomatoes and Strawberry Delight (recipe below--it's one of my most favorite desserts--ranks up there with Red Velvet Cake). I also served Poppyseed sandwiches, slaw and watermelon slices (again with the watermelon).
Alexee loves flowers, and asked if she could have some for her room. After the party last night I moved one of the vases to her nightstand for her to see when she woke up this morning.
Each letter was a different pattern, but Alexee's favorite was this one with the fireworks, so I thought I'd show it. :)
***
Strawberry Delight
Crust:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Mix together and press into a 9x13" pan. Bake for 25 minutes at 350. Cool completely.

Layer 1:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup Cool Whip (buy 16 oz.--you'll top with remaining CW)
1 cup powdered sugar
Mix these ingredients and spread over cooled crust.

Layer 2:
3 T strawberry Jell-O
1/2 cup sugar
3 T cornstarch
1 1/4 cup boiling water
10 oz. box frozen strawberries, thawed
Mix sugar, cornstarch and Jello until smooth. Stir in boiling water, heat until boiling again. Boil until thick. Chill mixture, then stir in strawberries. Spread over cream cheese layer.

Layer 3:
Top with remaining Cool Whip and fresh, sliced strawberries. Chill before serving.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Yum...I would like a piece of the strawberry delight. Looks like another fun party by a fab hostess!!

Ryan V. said...

You are a great party planner! I love all the touches of red, white, and blue. Hydrangeas are one of my top favorites too! I used them in my wedding bouquet and also the bridesmaids'. I will definitely have to try your strawberry delight! You had me after cream cheese! Yum!

His Doorkeeper said...

Jamie, You did a great job....everything looked so festive!

The Jennings said...

Cute party! Love the door hanger!

Gretchan

Claire said...

What a cute table! You are so creative!

Cxx

sandra said...

Everything looked so fun and festive. You did such a great job. LOVE your "summer" painting.