June 20-24th was a week the kids had been looking forward to for months: Vacation Bible School at my parents' church! The theme this year was Big Apple Adventure. This was the third year for Rhett and (my niece) Jaiden to attend, but Alexee's and (nephew) Jeryn's first year. Since there were four kids going this year, my sister and I split the week in Flippin to help out. We met Micaela in Conway last Sunday afternoon so that R & A could ride there with her, and she stayed through Tuesday afternoon. Crosby and I went Wednesday morning and got there at noon, just as VBS was ending for the day. We stayed through noon on Friday. It was a fun but busy (and tiring) week. We joked about wishing Mrs. Duggar could spend the week with us to help keep things running smoothly! It seemed wild at times.
So Monday morning Mom and Mic got the four excited kids all ready and even had time for a few front-porch photos (wow-how they've grown in a year!). Alexee loves to wear dresses and usually gets upset if I try to get her to wear shorts or pants, so I sent mostly dresses for her to wear.


We were very blessed to have cooler than normal weather last week. It was around 85 degrees for several days, I think, which felt a lot better than 98! Because of that, we spent a lot of time outside. Wednesday afternoon we took the bean bags to the front yard and sat in the shade. Alexee, Jeryn and Crosby chased butterflies and picked flowers while Rhett, Jaiden and I played that game "I'm going to Grandma's house and I'm taking a..." (A-Z memory game).

Visiting with Mrs. Judy

Mo & 4 Grandkids--won't be long until Crosby can go too!
We were very blessed to have cooler than normal weather last week. It was around 85 degrees for several days, I think, which felt a lot better than 98! Because of that, we spent a lot of time outside. Wednesday afternoon we took the bean bags to the front yard and sat in the shade. Alexee, Jeryn and Crosby chased butterflies and picked flowers while Rhett, Jaiden and I played that game "I'm going to Grandma's house and I'm taking a..." (A-Z memory game).



Watching for butterflies. I miss the country.
Wednesday night Dad grilled hot dogs and made snow cones using Micaela's snow cone machine.
Alexee was so exhausted that night that she actually said she just wanted to go to bed--she said she didn't even want a snow cone. Crosby went to sleep early too, but the other three kids had been looking forward to a good game of "Giant". Giant consists of Dad being the giant and the kids attacking him/defending themselves by using the bean bags as their "weapons". :)
Ready to go on Thursday morning
I took them to church while Crosby stayed home with Mom.

That afternoon Crosby took a good nap while Mo & the other four went to check on Banner at the barn. I made chocolate chip cookies while C was asleep, and he was happy to be the first to sample them when he woke up. Well, second to sample...I ate 1 or 2 or 7 right when they came out of the oven.
These pictures were taken earlier in the week. I hate that Banner is having foot trouble that causes him to need these treatments, but I think it's very sweet that the kids took such an interest in helping him. My Mom has such a heart for animals, and all the grandkids see that and learn from her! I love how Jeryn has his arms on the pony. 
Mom said that Rhett asked 1,000 questions about the treatments, how/why/etc. Maybe he'll want to be a vet?

Rhett helped Mom put the special shoes on Banner's feet.
Thursday night we ordered delicious, award-winning pizza from Nima's, and we ate outside then the kids played in the water. I love the expressions on their faces and the way Crosby is standing in this picture.
Dad & Clay watching the kids play


Brothers :)

Friday morning Mo made biscuits and chocolate gravy (everyone's favorite!)
While the kids were at church, I packed up all our stuff and then we went to the closing VBS assembly at 11:30 before leaving to come back home. Rhett (in the black shirt) joined the other kids on stage to sing the Big Apple Adventure songs.
Rhett LOVED getting to see Kiley every day!! Kiley helped with the music, and she wrote down the words to the songs for R & J so they could practice at home. :)
They had such a fun week, but all good things must come to an end. It breaks my heart to see Rhett get upset when we leave. I always have to fight back my own tears when I see him crying. Even after six days, he wasn't ready to go. :( 

As I said before, a fun but TIRING week.

The first thing they did when we got home was hang their magnets on the fridge.

I'm thankful to my parents for letting the kids come visit for VBS and thankful to those who taught/served the kids so faithfully all week!


4 comments:
What wonderful memories! I can't believe Alexee and Jerin are old enough to go!
What a fun week!!! I love the 1,2 or maybe 7 cookies-ha!!! Poor Rhett-that is so sad! I'm glad they made such wonderful memories with their cousins. :)
You know we LOVE have the Garner-Thomas kids come to our VBS! And what memories will your kids have!!
Mo and Granddad may need a little vacay though!! har
I was so tired Friday myself!!
Sweet post J!! I think B is going to my parents next summer for VBS. I need to get a big bear hug from C...he is just precious. Cute pics of him!!
Post a Comment