We spent Memorial Day evening at our friends Brad & Leslie's house for their "Gender-Reveal Party". This was our first baby gender party, and I felt kind-of old and out of touch when I realized this was not something that people did way back when we had kids-ha! :) That was probably just the first of many things that will remind me I'm not in the BABY season of life any more." (And much to my surprise, it didn't really make me sad?!)
So it was a really fun time. Brad and Leslie had chips, salsa and cheese-dip for appetizers and they made delicious fajitas for dinner. We ate outside while the kids played in the back yard--swinging, playing ball, blowing bubbles and jumping in the jump house. Memorial Day also seems to mark the beginning of summer in my mind, so this was a great way to start the new season. 

I wish I would have taken a picture of Rhett swinging in the baby swing with two year old Avery pushing him!





And finally, the moment we'd all been waiting for...the big announcement! Brad and Leslie did not know either. They had their ultrasound appointment last Friday and had the technician seal the gender news in an envelope to give to the bakery. The bakery then made a gender-neutral cake on the outside, but inside it contained pink or blue filling that would be seen when they cut into the first piece...


Rhett & Crosby working on the bubble machine.

I wish I would have taken a picture of Rhett swinging in the baby swing with two year old Avery pushing him!
It was hot, and the kids loved the lemonade with fun umbrella straws.

The first thing C wanted to play with when he arrived:


C jumping

And finally, the moment we'd all been waiting for...the big announcement! Brad and Leslie did not know either. They had their ultrasound appointment last Friday and had the technician seal the gender news in an envelope to give to the bakery. The bakery then made a gender-neutral cake on the outside, but inside it contained pink or blue filling that would be seen when they cut into the first piece...
It's a.................

BOY!!!!

(I had my camera zoomed in too much and cut off their heads in all the excitement.) I think they were a little shocked. They have a little girl that's Crosby's age, so they're used to seeing pink! This next picture cracks me up because while the exciting moment/hugging was still going on, you can see Rhett moving into position to get a piece of cake, plate in hand! :)
They also had not looked at their ultra-sound photos yet, which was probably good because the way HE was sitting it would have ruined the surprise for sure. Leslie is saying, "Well, yes, it's definitely a boy!"
The growing Miles Family--aren't they cute!
Congratulations! We can't wait to meet your new family member.

I told Leslie that, in my (biased) opinion, it is a wonderful blessing to get to experience having both boy(s) and girl! I'm sure thankful it's that way at our house!
Garner boys and girl enjoying their cake with blue filling.





Memorial Day 2011: Thankful for Freedom, Family and Friends!


5 comments:
What a cute way to celebrate! I would have been dying from suspense!! A's dress is really cute, too! :)
Thank you for joining us, it was very special!
Fun idea... and Kudos to them for being able to wait from Friday to Monday!
When I was expecting Evie, D & I had the ultrasound tech put the results in an envelope for us to open at dinner! I could hardly wait and made D come pick me up at 4:30 to head to dinner!!!
okay, THAT was a cute idea! Wish I had thought of it... : ) I'm not in the baby mode either anymore - sad and glad.....anyway, just catching up on some reading. I just now read the post of DOCTOR Garner! : ) Yeah for ya'll!! Tell him congrats and I'm sure he'll make a great doctor!
Love the idea...hasn't Kelly posted about several of her friends doing this? Lots of creative minds in the great state of AR...and of course R was first in line for cake!!
Post a Comment