Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July Weekend

4th of July Weekend in Flippin...album here.

We got back last night from a few days with my family in Flippin. Thursday afternoon when we got there Lane, Dad & Rhett got the river boat ready and took it to the dock. They went out to test the fishing, and Mom and I brought Alexee & Crosby there a little later. We picked up pizza for dinner on the way and ate at the picnic tables by the river. It was such a nice evening. After we ate Mom brought the two smaller kids home for bath and bed while the rest of us went out to fish for a while longer. I've always loved going to the river--we spent so much time there growing up--but it had been several years since I'd been fishing. I was really looking forward to it. The fish were biting, which made it even more fun, but I would have been happy even if they weren't. It was cool and pleasant on the water, and I hated to leave.

Mid-morning Friday we went back out for part two of the fishing. Alexee wanted to go with us, so we took her even though we were a little worried about how she'd do in the boat. She actually did fine other than asking, "When is it time to go swimming?" about a million times. She took her baby doll with her and played with it, leaning over the side to dip the doll in the water. She even dressed her in a swimsuit for the trip. We finally decided to break for lunch and swimming, so she was perfectly happy then. She had a blast in that cold water, splashing and finding shells.

Rhett LOVED fishing. He'd been fishing in the pond a long time ago, but this was his first time out in the boat I think. He was catching something nearly every cast, and didn't want to stop for anything. He made sure we knew he caught the most and the biggest! He learned how to hook up the boat trailer and how to clean the fish. I was thrilled to know that he enjoyed it--I'd love for him to get to go often! Thanks to Dad for being our guide, and thanks to Mom for watching Crosby for us. It will be easier in a few years when Crosby is old enough to go along so no one has to stay home, but I don't want to wish time by. I think Mo & Cros enjoyed their time together.

Friday night we had a family get-together with Mom's side of the family. We had lots of great food, and it was so nice to get to see my extended family. The kids were exhausted that night. They'd had such a full, action-packed day. Rhett told me on the way home that his stomach hurt because he was hungry (never mind that there was more food there than we could have possibly eaten), so I fixed him some cheese and crackers when we got to the house. He took one bite, put his head down on the table and said, "Mom, I don't think my stomach is hurting because I'm hungry after all. I think it's just because I'm so sleepy." He went upstairs for a shower, and I don't think his head had touched the pillow before his eyes were closed! What a perfect day!

Saturday morning my sister's family arrived, so we were able to eat lunch and visit with them for a while before we left. Mom and Micaela had the idea to do a family photo, so we did that and it actually went okay considering the heat and how many kids were involved. Alexee was mad at first and refused to open her eyes for the first few pictures, but she soon forgot about it.

Today (Sunday) we've had a quiet day. We went to church this morning--had such a great sermon--then A & C took long naps (!). This evening we all went to eat at Outback and then went to Academy Sports to buy R's skateboard that he's been saving up his allowance money to buy. There's more fun in store, as tomorrow we plan to spend the day with L's family at the lake! Lane has registration on Tuesday and starts his fourth year of school on Wednesday...the first three years flew by!

Happy 4th of July!!!

1 comments:

Jacquie said...

Sounds like we both had wonderful times with our families. I just wish my drive was as close as yours!! Ha!!