Thursday, October 20, 2011

Family Friend

Good-byes are hard.

Last night was a sad time for my parents as they lost their sweet boxer, Clay. Clay would have been 10 next month, which is a full life for that breed of dog. He lived a very happy life on the farm, loved and well cared for. A few weeks ago they learned that he had an enlarged heart, and there was not a cure. Their vet couldn't say exactly how much time he'd have, of course, but I wanted to think it would be at least a few months. I told myself he'd spend one more winter sleeping by their fireplace. Sadly, he didn't have that long, but I'm so thankful he didn't suffer and that he passed peacefully in the house last night, sleeping between Mom and Dad.

While I don't have a lot of great close-up pictures of Clay, it was not hard to find photos with him in them. I could look at any file of Flippin pictures and he'd be in at least a few of them. He was a loyal friend and just wanted to be near everyone. He was such a handsome, athletic dog, but he had such a gentle, loving, curious spirit.

Dad, Rhett and Clay in their back yard--last summer, I think
This is one of my favorite things that he did--ride in the farm buggy. He was so big he took up most of the space, but we didn't care. We'd just prop our feet on his back and ride.
Alexee & Clay, March 2010--love this picture!
I loved this curious expression of his. My sister has one of him like this (looking at a butterfly) on her blog--she did a sweet post about him today.
Crosby, Clay & Princess Louisa. Crosby loved Clay--since he started talking, the first thing he'd say when we arrived at my parents' house was "There's Clay!"
Alexee, Princess Louisa and Clay on the farm buggy this summer
My last memory of Clay will be from this trip to Flippin a few weeks ago. The weather was so pretty Saturday evening. Dad grilled hot dogs and we ate at the patio table. Clay was hanging out with us, and Dad gave him a hot dog when we finished eating. He was coughing then, but we didn't know how sick he actually was.
"Clay Dog" was a great companion to my parents for a whole decade, and I know they will miss him every day. We all loved him and will remember him very very fondly.

6 comments:

In His Army said...

I loved when he would worm his way in the farm buggy and take up the WHOLE buggy. Already miss him and it won't be the same pulling up to the house without him there.

best pre workout supplement 2012 said...

It is really hard to say goodbye, especially when your not ready not to seen them every day.. haist

Jessica said...

So sorry! I loved the pic of your dad and Rhett in their boots. : )

Candy said...

awww...so sad, Jamie! I'm so sorry. :(

We've Got Scents said...

So sorry for all of your family:(
Thinking about you all,
Kaye

Ryan V. said...

aw I'm so sorry! It can be so tough, loosing a loved pet :/ He looks like such a sweet dog. I really like boxers. I'm sure he was great with the kiddos.