Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 Highlights

Update: 10:15pm--still awake. :)

2007 has been a year full of blessings. Here are just a few of the highlights that come to mind:

January...last minute preparations for a new family member
February...Alexee arrived--what a blessing! Started learning about operating as a family of four
March...we celebrated Rhett's 3rd birthday with a bowling party and lunch at Purple Cow, Texas friends came to visit
April...Alexee's first Easter, started house hunting (a challenge with a 3 year old and a newborn)
May...Alexee's baby dedication on Mother's Day--had a family lunch at our house, went on a weekend retreat with our Community Group and had a wonderful time, my sister had her baby boy 5/31!
June...moved to a different house--exhausting and stressful (we still don't like to think about that process), our 6th wedding anniversary
July...4th of July lunch with my family at my sister's house, dinner with our Community Group at the Cheatwoods--a fun day!
August...Lane started a new chapter in his life--medical school! L's 34th b-day.
September...spent Labor Day in Hot Springs with L's family
October...had a cookout with my family at Woolly Hollow State Park--a great time together, pumpkin patch trip, 4th annual kids' costume party, a going-away party for a dear friend
November...Alexee started crawling, my 31st (cringe) b-day, my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving) in Flippin
December...lots of holiday fun--Community Group Christmas party, a playgroup cookie decorating party at our house, Lane survived semester #1 of med school, enjoyed time in Flippin & Hot Springs with family and friends, Alexee's first Christmas, Rhett got a scooter

Growing up, we'd make a big deal out of new year's eve...my cousin Carrie would spend the night, we'd plan how to celebrate, make buckets of confetti, decorate the house, wake my parents up at 11:58p to countdown and video us dancing around and acting silly at midnight. NY Eve is low-key these days. The kids went to bed at their usual time, and Lane & I sat on the couch in our PJs eating popcorn and cheese & crackers while watching Evan Almighty (it was funny & cute! I think I only fell asleep once). I also used to make official resolutions. As time has passed, I guess I've decided that there's nothing really magical about January 1st, but I'm constantly aware of my need to be a better Christian, mom, wife, friend, sister, daughter, neighbor, etc. I know I need to eat healthier, exercise more, read the Bible more, pray more regularly, gripe less, be more understanding and proactive, etc. etc. Maybe I'll grow in some of those areas in 2008 with the Lord's help? We had a great sermon yesterday on "Hope Personified", the story of Simeon and Anna meeting baby Jesus face-to-face. Our pastor reminded us how critical it is to have hope, and how we live in a world that is dying without it. His closing point was "What about you? -Where is your hope? -How is God revealing Himself to you? and -How is God revealing Himself through you?" Great questions!

I wish you a safe and happy new year...and a blessed 2008 full of HOPE in Christ!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It's 9:00 and I'm in my pj's and ready for bed! We are party animals at the Stamps' house! ha!
I loved your recap - ya'll have had a very big year FULL of changes - new baby, new house, new SCHOOL.....
I hope 2008 is even better for you!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so good to do the 2007 year in review. I wanted to write up something & include some photos of reflection, but alas never got around to it. What a big year you guys had! Here's to 2008. Hopefully no moving this year!