Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dentist Appointment/Juggling Act

This morning A went to my dentist appointment with me. I had a box of raisins in my lap, along with my purse, so I could constantly hand her snacks, sunglasses, calculators, Pez dispensers, and car keys. She did great, and really only got bored at the very end. Thankfully, the receptionist popped in for a few minutes of entertainment with the yellow sunglasses, so that was a big help. I barely noticed the nurse cleaning my teeth--she was just sort of there working while I tried to keep Alexee happy in the stroller (well, I DID notice the flossing--my goodness, why do they have to floss SO hard!?).

After that appointment, I decided to push my luck a little more and take A with me to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. She was super sweet there...she didn't even want to walk around the waiting room (it was fairly clean, but I was fine with her not walking around touching everything)...she just sat on my lap eating Cheerios and smiling at all the other customers. Things don't always go so well, but I'm always grateful when they do!

(P.S. I'm so glad that Jiffy Lube has stopped removing parts from cars and carrying them into the waiting room to try to convince you to buy new ones. Now they just ask a series of questions listed on the computer, and I am much better at saying "no" to the computer's recommendations than to the person holding half my car in the waiting area full of people!)



4 comments:

Kelly said...

You don't think about how hard simple errands like oil changes and the dentist are when you add a toddler/baby to it.

The Hickmans said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hickmans said...

What an angel!! I love it when they are so good just when you need them to be. It proves that God is looking after us mommy's. :)

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky! I look Lindsey with me to the dentist about a month ago, thinking that she would just sit in her stroller eating cheerios and playing with toys, but I was wrong. She was really scared of the mask that the hygenist wore. A receptionist tried to hold her and walked around the office but Lindsey just cried and cried. She has terrible separation anxiety. So, I finally just held her in the dentist chair. She had cried so hard that she just laid her head against my chest very still, while the hygenist worked on my teeth. Needless to say, I'll be getting a sitter next time I have to go to the dentist.