
The past two afternoon "rest times" have provided some precious opportunities for me to talk with Rhett about Jesus, God, Jonah, Heaven, etc. I always read a book or two to him before I leave his room, and I admit that sometimes I just choose short books. But yesterday, I thought that I should read him a Bible story. He has a little lift-the-flap book of Bible stories, and he wanted to read the last one, which is about the lost sheep (99 are safe, 1 is lost). Then he wanted to read "the one about Baby Jesus", so we read it. Then, with no prompting at all, he asked, "Jesus loves us, right?" His next question was, "Is Jesus the same as God?" I was reminded yet again how I need the Holy Spirit's guidance every minute of every day. I hope I answered his questions in an appropriate way for a four year old. So today I picked up the same book and asked if he wanted to read another story, which he did. He first chose Noah, then David & Goliath, then Jonah. More questions followed: "Was Jonah a real person?", "Is Heaven even in the belly of a fish?" "Where is Jonah now?", "Is Heaven just in our imagination?" I wish I could remember exactly how the conversation went, but I can't. I know that I told him that God loves us and forgives us when we sin, and I explained to him what "sin" means. It has been my prayer every day for 4 years that he would come to accept Christ personally at a young age and live a very eternal-minded, purpose-driven life for Him. I have no idea if he's anywhere near that decision point, but I just praise God for placing these questions on his precious little heart (Ecc. 3:11 came to mind). I pray that the Lord will guide us as we strive to share the love of Christ with our sweet kids.
"He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." John 14:15-17
If you have stories about your children asking big questions, I'd love for you to share them with me. It is such an amazing blessing to be a part of a child's spiritual journey...but also such a scary responsibility, too! I don't want to waste a single opportunity to share with our kids the love of Christ.
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago


4 comments:
Jamie - you are so precious! I know God gives you the exact words to say. Rhett and Alexee are SO blessed to have you and Lane as parents!
Very sweet post..you are an great mommy!!
What better can a mother do for her children except love them with all her heart and lead them to love Jesus with all their hearts! And you, Jamie, are doing just that!
What precious times- your children are so blessed!
Post a Comment