Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snow day & back to school

School was scheduled to resume yesterday, but we got a very light dusting of snow late Sunday night so the kids got one extra day of vacation.  They were so hopeful that there would be enough to play in and build a snowman, but it just didn't happen.  There's a chance of more snow tomorrow evening though.  Rhett has checked the weather on my phone at least 100 times this week!  So yesterday we made rice crispy treats and played inside all day.



The small amount of snow melted away and Rhett had to go back to school this morning.  He was not happy about it at all (picture above from breakfast time)--bless his heart.  He cried and said he didn't like anything about school and it was the "worst thing ever".  He said he missed me too much when he was there, and he didn't like the cafeteria.  I reminded him that I pack his lunch so he doesn't have to eat the cafeteria food unless he chooses to, but he said it wasn't the food--he just didn't like being in there??  I don't know what that is about.  I'm hoping he gets back into school mode very soon so that he doesn't dread it and make a big deal out of it every morning.  He loved school last fall.  I really can't believe he's half-way through his first year of school!  When I drove him there today, the temperature was 17 degrees.  There's nothing very fun about that, especially if there is no snow to play in.  We saw several kids standing at bus stops, and I pointed out that he was blessed to get to ride straight to the front door of the school in a warm car.  I even told him I would come to pick-up line early this afternoon so he wouldn't have to wait long in the cold.

Meanwhile, at home, Crosby spent the day pulling up on everything he could find and Alexee changed clothes numerous times and looked at her new princess books.  Today she had on at least three pairs of PJs, a pair of pants with a too-small dress from last year, a swimsuit (and my boots), a tutu and one of the outfits I bought her before Christmas.  No wonder I have so much laundry to do! (But isn't she cute!)  :)

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor Rhett. I'm sure it's an adjustment to go back to school after such a fun two weeks off. i'm sure he'll be back in the swing of things soon!
Alexee is so cute dressing up!
And Crosby is on the move. Oh everything changes once they are mobile. I look back and laugh at how i thought it was SO hard when Harper was a baby and all she did was lay still. I'm sure I'll look back in a few months and laugh that I think it's so hard now that she's crawling. ha!
We are covered in snow here in NWA. Kids are out all week. I'm sure lots of mothers are ready for them to go BACK! ha!

The Jennings said...

As soon as I posted, I saw your title, almost the exact same! Ha! And guess what else, Ramsey acted almose the exact same as Rhett this morning. He said things like, "you leave me at school too long" and "I don't like school anymore" and "I don't want to see my friends". I think with Ramsey he was a little nervous. He tends to act that way when he is nervous. Two weeks off must seem like a life time to them. I bet it could be a little nerve racking to have to "start over" again. I bet Rhett will be back to normal very soon if not already! Ramsey was fine once he got there. Crosby and Alexee are too cute. Love that Alexee likes to change clothes 1000 times a day. So girly!

Gretchan

Karen Cleveland said...

What is it with these girls?? Emily changes clothes at least 10 times a day. And it is crazy, mismatched outfits or princess costumes! I dread going up to her room each day because I never know what kind of mess I am going to find!
We are hoping for lots of snow tonight too--we would love to make a snowman!

The Keltons said...

Duncan has had a hard time starting back to school/pre-k too. Look at Crosby pulling up. I hope Lucy Kate will start pulling up and/or crawling soon (I think...Ha).

Jacquie said...

Poor Rhett!! He looks SO sad. I bet he'll be fine in no time... he loves to learn too much.

Alexee's swimsuit and boot ensemble is too cute!

Candy said...

Poor Rhett! Hope he has cheered up about school. It is hard for students and teachers to go back after a long break. Your other 2 look just like mine--pulling up on EVERYthing and changing into a crazy mixture of clothes all day long!

Renae said...

Girls love to change clothes. My 7 year old does the same thing. I even find myself changing my 14mth old a few times a day-just cause :)
Your kiddos are adorable!

We've Got Scents said...

Too sweet of Rhett to want to stay home, but hope he gets accustomed to school again soon!
Found out today a friend from here recently finished a cabin 3 miles from Flippin:) They LOVE to visit every chance they get, they absolutely LOVE the area and the people!!! Small world...
Blessings and Happy New Year,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22

kanishk said...

We are covered in snow here in NWA. Kids are out all week. I'm sure lots of mothers are ready for them to go BACK!

Work from home India