Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day Tea

Today was a special day! Rhett's Kindergarten class hosted a Mother Goose Mother's Day Tea for us. R has talked about it all week, and he was really excited that I was coming to his school. The tardy bell rings at 7:40, the party started at 8 a.m. (A & C were going too) and I needed to pick up a teacher-appreciation gift certificate in between so I knew it was going to be a rushed morning. We made it just in time though, even with a long line at Panera Bread (for the gift card) and changing a dirty diaper in the school parking lot.

The classroom tables were decorated with pink paper and vases that the kids made. A flower with the child's picture on it served as the place card. I was so happy to sit by this sweet face:
They even had real dishes for the moms to use.
Crosby and Alexee were really cooperative (thanks to a giant chocolate chip cookie from Panera for breakfast and a sleeve of Ritz crackers).
The students had memorized various nursery rhymes and took turns saying them for the audience. Caden, Garrett, Rhett & R'Iyanna dressed in their PJs and did "Wee Willie Winkie".
After all the nursery rhymes, the moms were invited to go through the line first for cookies, cinnamon rolls and tea or lemonade...what a treat!
Each child had drawn a picture of his/her mother and they were hanging in the hallway with the names hidden so we could guess which one was our portrait. I guessed mine first try--the red hair was a good clue!
Then we all went to the library to watch the cute video that the class made. Miss J interviewed the kids and asked them several questions like: What is your favorite thing to do with your Mom?, Where is your Mom's favorite place to shop? What does your Mom tell you to do over and over again? How would you describe your Mom?...They were all so funny of course. Rhett said his favorite thing for us to do is to go swimming (I promised myself I'd take him more this summer after hearing that!), my favorite place to shop is Hobby Lobby (pretty accurate!), he said that I tell him over and over to make his bed (so true!). Here's R's picture on the big screen:
Alexee got bored so Rhett was sweet to go over to the benches with her and look at books.
Thanks, Rhett, for making me feel so special today! I really enjoyed the party! I love you, and I'm so thankful to be your Mom.
_______________________________________________________________

When we got home Alexee wanted to see if Natalie could come over to play for a while. They are so funny together. They always play dress up and they always do something with baby dolls or stuffed animals. I thought these pictures of them were so cute:

5 comments:

Candy said...

what a special day! these sweet Mother's Day events make me so teary eyed---even reading about them! :) Happy Mother's Day to you! :)

Jacquie said...

The boys both had Mother's Teas in the 1st grade here. I LOVED them. Those were some fun times!

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jamie! What a special time to share with your kiddos! That Rhett flower is just precious!!

on the eastern journey said...

What a fun memory! I loved Rhett's portrait of you!

Anonymous said...

You have the most beautiful daughter!!! Your other kids are precious also, I just think her little grin is fabulous!! She should be a model!s