Monday, December 27, 2010

Baked French Toast

This is a recipe I mentioned earlier this month. It was actually in a cookbook that I had and just didn't know it. My neighbor made it for our Neighborhood brunch, and it was so good!

Baked French Toast
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 tsp. syrup
3 tsp. vanilla
6 eggs
3 cups milk
Pre-sliced fresh French bread (Cobblestone)

Melt butter in bottom of 9x13" dish. Add sugar and syrup and mix. Take whole loaf of bread and smash on top.* Place bread in dish. Mix eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon to top.

__________
*I'm not quite sure what this step means, but my neighbor's looked really nice in the dish (it didn't look "smashed"). Instead she had the pieces overlapping slightly so that it looked wavy with a neat texture...if that makes sense at all. I wish I had a better picture of hers, but you can see it if you look closely on the brunch post. It's the dish at the back by the polka-dot glass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, for the recipe. I am going to try this one. I am always trying to come up with new ways to make breakfast for Howard and the children. Hope you had a good Christmas. God bless you all.

Claire said...

ooooh, yum!

Cxx