Sunday, March 13, 2011

"It's all about balance"

It has been such a nice weekend. The sleepover Friday night was tiring, but we survived, and I'm so glad Rhett had a good time (Lane and I enjoyed it, too). I sent Dad a text with a picture of the kids on the way to eat pizza that night and he wrote back and said, "Enjoy it. Before you know it he'll be asking for the car keys." I'd already been thinking about how it seems like just a few years ago that my parents took me and my friends for pizza and bowling for my 13th birthday (for some reason that year stands out in my memory). I remember Dad getting stopped by a cop on the way home from that party--all of us girls were in the back giggling. Ha!

We had another good sermon today (I know I say that every week!). After church I thought I'd let Alexee skip her nap and I'd take her and Rhett to see a movie. Well, Alexee was excited, but Rhett didn't want to go because he said it "sounded like a girl movie". Then he thought of popcorn and he said he guessed he could go. Lane showed them a preview (Rango), but then Alexee didn't seem all that interested. I kind-of wished I'd never mentioned it. So then I offered to take them to the park instead. They decided that sounded fun. That turned out to be a better choice anyway: fun time together, free, fresh air & exercise...instead of $30+ for overpriced tickets and unhealthy popcorn and an afternoon of sitting inside instead of actively enjoying the spring weather! Lane stayed home with Crosby so C could take his nap, then they played out on the deck and got to enjoy the sunshine too.

So the kids chose the park they wanted to go to. We planned to just play on the playground equipment, but when we got there they asked if we could climb the mountain. I didn't really think Alexee would/could climb all the way to the top, but I told them we could go as far as they wanted to and turn around. Rhett had been to the top last fall, and I should never have doubted Alexee. I love her confidence and determination in everything she does! They both did great--I was proud of them! Rhett was our guide since he'd been up before. He wanted to be in the very front at all times. I guess that Friday night trip to the rock climbing wall was good preparation as well. Alexee was okay with following Rhett but wanted to be in front of me. If I got in front of her at any point she'd remind me that I needed to slow down. R was a good guide. He kept asking us if we were doing okay, and on the way back down the mountain he said, "The trip back down is all about balance. Don't worry about your speed." :) Good advice.
Here we go!
Brief stop (for me) to take a rest-ha! I felt really out of shape today!
Somewhere along the way we passed by an older man who was leaning against a tree with a walking stick in his hand. He was standing very still. Right after we went by him Alexee said, "Well, I thought he was just a scarecrow!" It cracked me up. :)

A beautiful lookout point, but we weren't to the top yet.
We made it!
We saw a girl I know from church and she offered to take our picture.
Last night a friend of Lane's came by to pick up some baby gear (car seat, baby tub, etc.) that we'd offered to give him and his wife. They're having their first baby in June. As hard as I tried to not be sentimental, I started crying right before they arrived. I was doing okay until Lane said, "It's nice to clear out some space in the garage, but it's also a little sad." That's all it took. I was okay by the time they got here, and I made it through the transfer without tears. I told the girl that I was so excited for them and that I wished I could rewind time seven years and experience it all again with the kids............All that to say, the fun time I had climbing with R & A this afternoon seemed like a gentle little reminder from the Lord that every stage is going to be a blessing and adventure with the kids. We may have closed the "baby" chapter (it was HARD to see that infant carrier go. I'm getting teary-eyed just typing this), but we have so many fun things to look forward to as the kids grow. With all three kids celebrating birthdays in February and March I've been a little overwhelmed lately by how fast time goes by.

Thankful for a beautiful day and healthy children!
Once Alexee asked if we were lost, and Rhett said, "I promise you we're not lost." Alexee said, "Good, because I was afraid there might be wolves out here."
Our cute guide
We made it back down safely and enjoyed a trip to the park's vending machine before playing on the playground. Alexee chose a nice refreshing water and Rhett chose a nice sugary Grape Crush.
***
We have a BIG week ahead. Rhett's Birthday and Lane's residency Match Day! Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Candy said...

what a beautiful view, love it!!! The movies are def overpriced compared to your alternative choice! :) Your kids are getting so big! I know what you mean about the baby stuff. I keep trying to get all the baby gear ready for a consignment sale and every time it rolls around fall and spring--I just don't have enough time to get it all cleaned up and tagged! It is hard to let go! Thanks for sharing this--I can totally relate and you have put such great perspective on it! Gives me something to think about! :) Hope ya'll have a great week!

Unknown said...

Beautiful park...wish it were near my home!

The day I sold our daughter's high chair on Craigslist, I cried & cried...guess that means our memories of their babyhood are fond. :)

Tonya said...

Gorgeous park and great memories! I think E has the same pink leggings A has on!!!

sandra @ eastern journey said...

I can't believe you are about to find out about Lane's residency! I have been thinking of you non-stop! Can't wait to hear your BIG news.

Jacquie Wallace said...

There are so many things that make you want to go back in time... the memory you made on your hike will be another day you'll look back to and want a do-over on.

I love all the things your kids say... they crack me up!

Hope your BIG week turns out just perfect!

Heather said...

Ok, so put this on the list of things to do next time I visit. I would also like to request Hiking Guide Rhett join us!! But, he should definitely wear khaki shorts, hiking boots, a map, etc. Great pics..