When we were getting ready for church this morning Lane asked what the date was today. I told him it was the 6th, then we talked about how three years ago today was when the moving truck came to our previous house. That was a hard day for us because to be honest, we didn't want to move at all. We were just moving a few miles away, and the move seemed to make sense (Lane was starting med school, and we wanted to be in a different school district for when Rhett started school), but we liked it where we were. That was our first house to buy together, and the house that we brought both Rhett and Alexee home to (oh, and Bogart, too! ha). We'd spent so many exciting hours getting the kids' nurseries ready, and we both cried when we did the final walk-thru and said good-bye to their rooms. Rhett had learned to crawl and walk there, played in that back yard, we'd strolled around that neighborhood who-knows-how-many miles, etc. . Alexee was only four months old when we left, but those had been a sweet four months with a newborn baby girl! I spent a lot of hours making her crib bedding in that laundry room and hung all her tiny dresses in that closet in her bedroom. :)
We wouldn't drive by the "old house" for months and months, but we'd constantly talk about it and wish we were still there. We wondered if the "new house" would ever feel right. I think it took close to a year, but it finally did. I knew that the family made the home, not the house, but it just took a while to feel as comfortable in the physical rooms here as we did with the people living within them.
So fast-forward three years to today, and I'd have to say that we've created as many if not more memories in this house, and moving from here someday will be very emotional, too. Our office used to be upstairs (now C's room), and that's where I'd sit in the chair and pray that God would bless us with a third child. We brought baby C home to this house. Two of our kids have experienced their first Christmases here, Rhett learned to ride his bike on this street, Crosby learned to crawl and walk here. Lane left from here on his first morning of medical school that first summer. Rhett left from here on his first morning of Kindergarten last fall. We sing Amazing Grace and Jesus Loves Me to Alexee in her room here every night. The kids have a blast running through the sprinkler in this back yard. A LOT of special memories have been made in three short years...it's now home-sweet-home!
moving day
June 6
2007

And my other specific memory of a June 6th is a difficult one as well. It was five years ago, and one that I rarely talk about, but think about very often. In the overall scheme of things, it was much more significant than a move across town. It was the day I had my first miscarriage, and it was a sad, scary day for us. We'd just told my parents a couple of days before that we were expecting Baby #2 (This picture below was made the night we told Mom and Dad and then we went to eat at Gaucho's). And we didn't know that day that we would face another heartache about seven months later when I'd miscarry again...when we were expecting twins. I think that anyone who has ever had a miscarriage would agree that it makes a lasting impact on your life, and it's something that changes you on the inside in a way that can't really ever be described. Although that was a challenging season for us, God's way is always perfect. I'm so very very grateful for the family that we have today.
Mom, Dad, me, Lane & Rhett
June 4
2005

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper
you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


13 comments:
That is such a great verse! You guys look so happy in your picture.. : )
Such a neat post! It does take a while for a new place to feel like home. It's neat to count all the blessings you guys have had over the past 3 years.
Great post....you have SUCH a beautiful family!
Oh Jamie...I am sitting here crying after reading your post. We are moving in 2 weeks from the home that we built to raise our family in. We have been here 5 1/2 years and there have been so many "firsts" in this house. It is SO hard to leave. I do not want to go but I know God has big plans for us!! I had no idea you had been through so much with your pregnancies. You are a strong woman! Thank you for your sweet post...I will be making one soon :(
We moved 3 yrs ago too for a different school district and now next week we are moving yet again...by choice. I'm feeling the same emotions you wrote about. I am so attached to this house and all the memories we have made. I know the exact spot in this house where E took his first steps, etc...It is hard! I'm so sorry about the miscarriages you have had. Will stop now and pray for you as you reflect back. You are such a sweet mom and I am always inspired to do something fun with my kids after I read your blog! :)
I don't think I knew that you had even one miscarriage. I'm so sorry that you have been through all that.
I love your memories of the things you've done within your home. And I can't get over how small (and cute) Rhett is in that last photo.
Jamie, I don't think I knew either. I am so sorry. Makes your three kiddos seem even more precious, which I didn't know was possible.
I haven't had too much of an emotional attachment to a home yet. The closest thing would be Kale moving from his apartment in Fayetteville. There was a piece of tape on the wall that I couldn't get off from his 22nd birthday when I decorated the living room for him! There was also a little dent and a stain from the day that I made cookies and they turned out horribly so we had a cookie fight! haha. I DEF have the Texas creatures memories in our home here!!! :)
Loved this post! Yall are the most adorable family!!
Jamie, I had no idea you had miscarriages. I can't imagine how heart breaking that would be.
I guess we were very lucky, and so cramped in our old house that moving into the new one on the farm made us feel like birds that had been let out of the cage! I love your post, and still haven't gotten to see Crosby!
Even though we are busting at the seams, the thought of moving from this house makes me sick to my stomach. I'm so glad of all the wonderful memories you've made in your new house.
Gretchan
Jamie - I remember those losses for you and how sad they made me and how much even MORE happy I was when you had a healthy pregnancy with Alexee.
I don't think I realized you were pregnant with twins that second time.
Just think of heaven when you will have SIX children to see! :-) Oh my!
I have been blessed to walk beside you during all of these moments...happy and sad ones.
Mom tried to tell me about this post a while back but she got choked ot up and just told me to read it. I finally got still tonight and caught up a months worth of missed reading and this is such a sweet post. I remember how difficult it was for you to move, especially with a new baby but I knew that over time you would develop wonderful new memories because you're right...its the people that make a house a home :) And you have been blessed with a precious family to make memories with. I still think about your miscarriages often and about what a sad time that was and how helpless I felt for you but I'm soooo thankful for R, A and C and the joy each of them bring. I LOVED what Kelly said about having all six children in heaven bc I have thought of that a lot--that I have neices/nephews in heaven that I will get to meet one day. Love you guys.
Post a Comment