While the kids were at MDO this morning and I was at my doc appointment*, Lane did some furniture rearranging and set up R's birthday surprise--his own computer in his room! Rhett sometimes has strange reactions to things, so we weren't sure if he'd be super excited or if he'd be stressed out because Lane moved the armoire out of his room and into the nursery. Thankfully, he really really liked the computer and said that the armoire "looked nice" in C's room. I think he was genuinely proud of his computer. He likes to play games on PBS kids, Disney, Noggin, etc. I also hope it will prove useful this fall with some educational/school-related things (wishful thinking on my part probably--math drills don't really compete with Scooby-Doo games). Lane had me keep R downstairs until he got home from his meeting after lunch, then we called him up to his room to show him the surprise:
We're shopping for a desk to match his room better, but this works for now:
He also got some fun mail today: a birthday card and money from Mo & Granddad and a package of sports stickers from them, too. He said he was going to buy doughnuts with his money and insisted on storing it in his cash register instead of letting me save it in my wallet. Mom also included Chuck E. Cheese coupons in his card--he and Lane plan to go there next week during spring break.
Tonight we went out for his birthday dinner:
Mmmmmm!He said he only liked the purple ice cream part, so Alexee gladly volunteered to take the whipped cream and sprinkles.
What a blessing this little boy is to our lives!-----------------




9 comments:
Happy Birthday Rhett!!!! I've thought about him all day today!!!
This made me laugh because Annie also wanted to use money from her grandparents to buy donuts. They gave her $5 for Chinese New Year, sent in a little red envelope like is the custom in China. She was so excited and has been dying to take it to "the donut shop" on Saturday morning and buy us all donuts.
Happy birthday to Rhett!
Oh to be a kid again and get to spend your money on Doughnuts !! And get to EAT them with wild abandon!!
Happy Birthday Rhett! Enjoy all the doughnuts you can while you can!!! har
Happy B'day R!!!! Gosh, I cannot believe baby C is coming next week!! Can't wait to meet this little one!!
Melody
A little early to start your little guy on a computer in his room, don't you think? I think it's dangerous to keep a computer -- whether it has Internet capability or not -- in a child's room. I have to say, as a regular reader of your blog, I was shocked at your decision. NO child -- young or teen -- should ever have a computer in their room. It should always be placed in an area that is accessible to Mom and Dad at ALL times. Sorry if I've offended you in any way, but quite frankly, I'm surprised you've not heard more of the same from other mothers who read your blog. Games, Internet, or Homework. Doesn't matter. Please think long and hard about this before you commit to keeping the PC in there ...
I can't believe Rhett is 5! Wow! Happy Birthday! I loved the photos at Wye Mountain. Beautiful picture of Alexee.
Good luck next week. I'll be thinking of you!
I cannot believe it is already time for Crosby! How exciting. Looks like Rhett had a great birthday. A computer and Purple Cow...what else could a boy ask for. Happy B-Day R!!!
Happy birthday Rhett!
A little early to start your little guy on a computer in his room, don't you think?
No
I think it's dangerous to keep a computer -- whether it has Internet capability or not -- in a child's room.
Please elaborate on why you consider a computer not connected to the internet as dangerous. I understand the dangers of IM, chat rooms, email, inappropriate websites, but can't figure out why a computer by itself is inherently dangerous.
I have to say, as a regular reader of your blog, I was shocked at your decision.
I'm sorry we shocked you. We never considered the affect our son's birthday present would have on you. By the way, welcome to our blog. :)
NO child -- young or teen -- should ever have a computer in their room.
Your opinion
It should always be placed in an area that is accessible to Mom and Dad at ALL times.
It is always accessible. He is 5. There is no area that is inaccessible to us.
Sorry if I've offended you in any way, but quite frankly, I'm surprised you've not heard more of the same from other mothers who read your blog.
If you didn't want to be offensive, then maybe you should have been a little less blunt with your comments.
Please think long and hard about this before you commit to keeping the PC in there ...
We did. I understand your position on the issue (except for the no internet is still dangerous comment), but we feel that early access to a computer is a valuable learning tool. Besides, with a little sister and soon to be little brother, his room might be the safest place in the house for the computer. :D
---Lane
Post a Comment