Thursday, March 12, 2009

Science experiments

Rhett is currently interested in science experiments. He got two cool kits for his birthday--one is a recycled paper kit and one is a chemistry set. We started with the paper kit today, but soon realized once we started reading through the directions that the newspaper should soak in water for a minimum of 2 hours before starting the paper-making process. Here he is tearing the comics into pieces.Our 9x13" pan of shredded newspaper soaking in water.
While we waited for the paper to do its thing, we did a little chemistry. Our first experiment was about solids vs. liquids and dissolving powders in water.
One of the steps was to sprinkle salt on a plate and look at it under the magnifying glass, describe it, then put it in the cup of water to see if it would dissolve. He liked dissolving things, so I gave him several things from the spice rack to try to dissolve--everything from onion powder to Pampered Chef caramel sprinkles.
The kit also came with a packet of citric acid which it warned you to "avoid contact with eyes". I read that to R, and he decided he should stir with his eyes closed in case it splashed.
I hope he continues to have an interest in science. I always HATED science experiments in school and nearly cried every time I had to go to my science lab my freshman year of college. Maybe that was one reason I went the accounting route--no more labs!

When Lane got home, he helped Rhett with the next phase of paper-making.
And here is one of the finished pieces this morning--a sheet of heart-shaped, recycled paper!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday gift!

Leigh Ann said...

What a smart boy!

Jacquie said...

R is SOOO funny!! That picture with his eyes closed just cracks me up (and made me think of your Dad!!).