Monday, August 15, 2011

Back to School

I can't believe it's time, but it was back to school today for Rhett. I let him sleep as late as possible (6:45), but he still had a hard time getting up and moving. We got ready in time for a few pictures before leaving the house. The parking lot was a crazy circus this morning, typical for the first day of school I guess. Alexee, Crosby and I walked him inside to his door. A different lady (from Thursday night meet & greet) greeted us, which confused me. I backed up to make sure I was at the right classroom, and she told us she was filling in for R's teacher today. (I'm not sure why R's teacher was unable to be there, and Rhett still didn't know after school, but I wonder if it has something to do with her broken hand. Mrs. S mentioned at the Meet & Greet that she had to go back to the doctor this week to find out what needed to be done for her hand, so maybe that took place today? Anyway, hopefully everything is okay with her and hopefully she will be able to return soon so she and the kids can get to know each other!)

Crosby was already in his car seat, but Alexee wanted her picture made with Rhett.
SECOND GRADER
I love this little expression of his. :)
The class was very calm and quiet when Rhett walked in--they all looked a little nervous. We left the house early, but it seemed like he was the last one to take his seat so this was my only photo!
Chloe came over for a while this morning to watch A & C while I attended a back to school prayer brunch at a neighbor's house. She and two other moms involved in an organization called Moms in Touch hosted this breakfast, and there was a great turnout! I think there were at least 30 moms there, maybe more! We ate and visited and prayed over the kids/teachers/staff. It was very encouraging to see so many Christian families committed to pray for our public school.

Here are some of the scriptures from the prayer sheet today:

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all you need, you will abound in every good work." II Corinthians 9:8

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations for ever and ever!" Ephesians 3:20-21

"Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them." Hebrews 7:25

What a wonderful way to begin the school year!

*****
I got A & C down for earlier naps today (wasn't sure how that would go because we've let nap time slip later and later this summer). When Alexee woke up we made a pan of "back-to-school brownies" to have when R got home. The brownies came out of the oven just in time for us to hop in the car and go get Rhett. We left at "normal" time, but carpool line took a crazy 40 minutes today! It will get better--it was super fast and efficient last year, but there was just a lot going on there today. Bogart got right back into the carpool routine--he ran to the car and hopped in and rode in R's booster seat until we got to the school.
Milk chocolate back-to-school brownies--yum!
No homework today, and I'm so glad. I hope they don't start homework until 2nd semester--ha!

11 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

Hard to think of Rhett being a 2nd grader!! Hope he had a wonderful day and that his teacher makes it back soon! Bet she was frustrated at having miss the first day!

I am now hungry for brownies!!! THANKS!

Ryan V. said...

Happy First day back at school Rhett!

Tonya said...

I hope Rhett has a great year! What a neat idea to have a prayer group on the 1st day!!!

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

A prayer group for the schools...what a wonderful idea! Rhett reminds me a lot of Lane in a couple of the pictures :o) I hope his teacher is back soon!

The Jennings said...

Yay Rhett! Love his backpack! ;)
Love the prayer group! Love the brownies! Yummy!

Gretchan

Jessica said...

Rhett looked so handsome! And you are a great momma for making brownies as a "home from school" treat! Yummy! : )

sandra said...

Wow. I can't believe Rhett is already back in school! We're still in enjoying the last bit of summer over here.

Candy said...

SO hard to believe that summer is over, I haven't let it sink in yet! :) Hope Rhett has a wonderful 2nd grade year. LOVE the idea of the prayer meeting, that is awesome! Bogart is adorable R's seat! Hopefully, R's teacher will be back today. :)

In His Army said...

Handsome boy! Have a great year Rhett!
Love, Aunt Kala

Sharmin said...

I love the idea of your prayer group, I know high school teachers appreciate prayers, too...especially those of us who have a classroom with nothing but 23 8th grade boys!

So far Logan is loving 2nd grade and Austin is loving 10th, I hope Rhett has a great year, too.

Heather said...

I'm glad R also had a good first week..is his teacher back? Thanks for checking on me today. Now that I'm looking at the brownie pic again I'm craving them...yum!!