Well, this probably wasn't Lane's most fun birthday ever. He's been on night shift, so he got home about 7:30 this morning and went right to sleep because he had to be back at the hospital at 7 p.m. He slept until mid-afternoon then he had a hair cut at 4:15, and Alexee wanted to go with him. The plan was for them to come back home and get the rest of us and we'd all go to dinner at Senor Tequila before L had to leave for work. Maybe the kids were all just extra EXTRA tired from school or something, but they'd been crying, fighting, hitting, screaming and whining about everything you could possibly imagine since we got home from school. And maybe Crosby still doesn't feel great--he's still coughing. He's had kind of a rough week so far, which is very unlike him. Poor guy. :( I asked everyone to go to the front porch and smile for a b-day picture, and for a few seconds they actually did okay...but then we tried to get into the car. That's when things got to the point that we realized it just wasn't worth it. I don't even know what they were arguing about. To be honest, I often tune out the specifics of their sibling conflicts, and it all just becomes a big, headache-inducing noise. So we were in the garage--it was 100 degrees--and I said, "Lane, do you even want to go?" He said, "Not really." So we got everyone back out of the car and inside. I made the kids go sit at the table in silence and wait for me to get them something for dinner. No eating out and no delicious birthday cupcakes for anyone. :( Happy Birthday, L!
Lane, we're sorry that the evening didn't go as planned, but we want you to know that we love you and we're thankful for you. Maybe in a few...6...8...10? years we can all go out for a drama-free family birthday dinner to celebrate. :)

We gave Lane this Razorbacks flag to put in the front yard during football season.

The un-eaten cupcakes.

***
P.S. Tonight reminded me of a similar situation from my childhood. My sister and I were fighting and being very disagreeable about everything. I think it was either a Saturday or a Sunday and we were trying to decide on something fun to do (as a family) for the afternoon. But since no one could agree, Dad finally had enough and said, "Okay then, we'll just all go pick up rocks." So he took us to the rockiest hillside on the whole farm and that's where we spent the rest of the day. It wasn't funny to us then, but we laugh about it now. I'm glad they gave us that lesson that afternoon. I think we were a lot more agreeable the next time plans were being made, and I still think of it all these years later.


4 comments:
Happy birthday Lane! I had a similar situation when I was younger. My grandparents had taken my sister and I to cocoa beach during the summer, which they often did because they have a condo there. We had plans to go to disney one day and my sister and I were like a train wreck that morning. I was throwing a fit because my mamaw wanted me to wear socks with ruffles and lace and folded over! I wasn't having any of that! hahaha I feel so bad when I think about it because we stressed them out over something so silly. We did end up going to disney that day. We still appologize to them for acting up that day! oh well, kids will be kids!
Happy Birthday Lane! You will have many future birthday dinner dates with your children when they are older and you will have so much fun telling them all about when they were "young and restless"!!
Happy birthday Lane! It's so hard to cancel a special dinner at a yummy restaurant, but if the kids are crazy then you really won't enjoy it. I keep trying to remind myself that they'll all grow up and one day we'll be able to go to a restaurant, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford 5 adult meals. :)
We've so done that before, been loaded up in the car and just had to come back inside! Happy Late Bday to Lane! I forgot that him and Tim share such a close bday! Tim's was yesterday! :)
Post a Comment