Thursday, June 26, 2008

What a day...

This morning Bogart had a hair cut appointment, so we left the house about 8:00 to drop him off. I've been putting off going to the grocery store for days, so I promised myself I'd make myself go after dropping Bogart off. I was hoping it wouldn't be 200 degrees yet at that time of day (it was overcast and cooler--good timing!). But first we stopped by the doughnut shop for a quick breakfast...a little sugar to get us going for the grocery shopping adventure...

I didn't do the environment any favors today with the plastic bags. I'm really going to try to look into the recycle bags that my friend, Heather, told me about, but today just didn't seem like the day to try to find them, fit my stuff into them, etc. It was a challenge just to keep Alexee from jumping out of the cart. While in the store, Rhett said, "looks like we were out of EVERYTHING." He was right.
Random piece of info: if you like chicken salad, this seems to taste better than the canned kind for some reason. Maybe it's my imagination? There's a recipe on the back that I like--it calls for onion powder, which I'd never thought to put in chicken salad. I also added a few more things to mine...chopped apple, grapes and dill weed. That was lunch today.
We played a while, then I put Alexee down for a nap as usual and Rhett went to his room for his rest. I heard him crying though, and rushed to check on him. He said his head hurt and his teeth hurt. Well, any time the kids are slightly sick or have any little problem, I start thinking up wild, scary things that could be wrong (today, meningitis or worse). I've always been a hypochondriac--I remember convincing myself I had cancer in the 4th grade (and numerous times since then). So anyway, I don't do well when the kids are sick. I brought R downstairs and gave him Tylenol for his headache and asked him to be really still and close his eyes and rest. And he fell asleep in a matter of minutes. This scared me even worse because this is only his SECOND nap in over a year (the other one was in Gulf Shores after he got up at 4 a.m.). He slept an hour (with me sitting beside him starring at him to make sure he was breathing), then woke up feeling a little better. He didn't want to eat a snack, which was unusual, but we went upstairs and played, and he seemed better. Then he didn't want any dinner but said he could eat some raisins and drink a smoothie, so that's what I gave him. He'd had a little bit of both when he started saying he couldn't eat anymore because his tummy hurt too much. You can guess what came next...the throwing up. He took a shower and went to bed--he said his head didn't hurt but his tummy still did. I wonder if Alexee and I will get it? Has anyone else had a stomach bug in the last few weeks? I didn't know it was going around. Hopefully he'll sleep well and feel fine in the morning.

I documented his first nap at this house: (notice a concerned Bogart at the other end of the couch)

This was after nap when he was feeling better. He loves puzzles and can do a lot of this States puzzle by himself. Lane and I cracked up a few days ago when he was eating a PB&J sandwich and said, "look, it's the shape of Texas!", and the sandwich really did look like TX!
This is where Alexee's realizes he's doing a puzzle and comes over to throw pieces in the floor and he gets upset:
I distract her with a singing school bus so he can work on his puzzle:

Bogart with his nice haircut (except his front leg that hasn't grown out from the IV he had a few weeks ago).
Well, I'm off to mop the floor and wash the clean-up towels. Please say a little prayer for health around the Garner house tomorrow!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Bless your heart - I hope Rhett is okay (and the rest of you don't get it). I know I'll be a freak when our baby is sick - I am a nervous wreck when Dawson is sick. ha!
That picture of Rhett and Bogart sleeping on the couch is precious.
I want to get those grocery bags too - I feel like that's one thing I could do instead of throwing away a million plastic bags a year.
Rhett is so smart - he just kills me!

Betsy said...

Oh no!!! Stomach bugs are the worst! I hope you don't get it! Your kids are both so cute. The top picture of your little girl is ADORABLE!

Francine said...

Hi i have never posted here before but I read your blog all the time. I was just gonna tell you that the virus is going on around here everywhere. Mine started with a headache too and than lead to the other stuff it seems to last about 24-48 hours and its over. I hope the little ones are better soon. Bless your heart for worrying. I would do the same thing. PRaying healing and safety in your home.
hugs, francine

His Doorkeeper said...

I'm saying a prayer for you before I go to bed...hope everyone is doing better tomorrow!

Heather said...

Oh, I hope R's better tomorrow and will say a prayer that the virus is gone tomorrow. As soon as I read R had fallen asleep, I knew something was us. Hugs..wish I'd been there to help!!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I check your blog from time to time & saw that your son has the stomach bug. We just finished our VBS at our church in South Carolina this week & the stomach bug was going around. Just awful! My husband caught it. YUCK! I hope you guys don't catch it!
Take Care!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
I hope Rhett will be better soon. I did hear that the stomach bug was going around. Yuck! On a different note, I love the USA puzzle. Where did you get that? Your comment about Alexee throwing the puzzle pieces made me laugh. Lindsey is constantly making Kathryn mad by destroying a puzzle or tower or something like that. It seems like she always wants what Kathryn has.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Rhett feeling sick. It's so awesome that he can do that big states puzzle!

Leigh Ann said...

Somehow I missed this post. I'm so glad Rhett is better. I haven't heard of anything going around. Hmmm! I'm like you. I get so scared when either of my kids don't feel well. I'm going to have to try that chicken salad. Sounds good and easy which I'm all about. What a smart boy to be able to do his "states" puzzle!