Praise the Lord for a good progress report regarding baby Harper today! They continue to be on my mind constantly, but I'm so encouraged by the news they received from her doctor today. Please don't stop praying though--she still has a long recovery ahead, but everyone is grateful for the small steps she's making already!
Due to MLK Day today, the kids didn't have MDO and Lane didn't have class. Lane stayed home with the kids for a little while this morning while I went to the pottery place to finish the plate I'd started for Alexee's birthday (I ran out of time last week when they were at MDO). I've done a birthday plate for each birthday so far for each child. My idea is to do maybe years 1-10. Rhett really painted his own last year, and I'm sure Alexee will want to do the same in a year or two, but it's a project I enjoy. I tried to match it to her invitation this year. The colors are very light right now--they should darken when the piece is fired. I hope it turns out okay. I plan to order the cake/cupcakes on Wednesday, and then I need to think about other food and some sort of little party favors (any ideas?) and a few other details. It's a smaller gathering this year...we had a big party for her 1st last year, but this time we've just planned for family and a few playgroup friends. I think this will make it a little easier (for me) to focus on the Birthday Girl and really celebrate her special day.
I wish I could claim these cute pottery pieces, but I just took pictures of them in the window for future ideas. I thought this Valentine's chocoloate covered strawberry was a fun idea:
And this bunny footprint plate for Easter/spring:
I also ordered these cute lime green shoes to go with Alexee's dress (thanks for sending the link, Heather L.!)
Today was meal day...I made tacos (not very creative, I know). I made these meringue tarts for dessert. The recipe came from a girl in my Bible study a few years ago--I loved them when she brought them to one of our luncheons. The filling wasn't very thick in the ones I made today, and I'm not sure why? Maybe because I used light Cool Whip this time? The recipe is below.
Meringue Tarts
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
--Gradually add:
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
--Continue to beat mixture until stiff.
--Spoon onto cookie sheet (either lightly greased or lined with parchment paper--they'll stick otherwise). Make a small depression in each tart with a spoon or ice cream scoop (this will hold the filling later). These don't expand during baking.
Bake 1 hour (I think I did only 50 minutes) at 250 degrees and then turn the oven off and leave the tarts in the oven. Cool overnight--don't open the door! (I'm not sure what this will do--I was just warned not to by the girl who gave me this recipe!?)
Filling:
Beat together equal parts yogurt (strawberry, raspberry, etc.) to Cool Whip. Spoon onto each tart and top with a berry. Serve immediately. Meringue mounds can be made ahead of time and stored in an air-tight container. I was also told not to double this recipe--instead make it in two separate bowls/batches if you need more.
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago


1 comments:
I am so glad I could help with the shoes. They are adorable!!!
Post a Comment