How cute are these toes!?! Alexee loves to look through my nail polish and really wanted her toes painted before school this morning. I already had her dressed--socks and shoes too--but she took them off and stuck her sweet little feet out for me to do! So I did. :) She was so proud of them.
Well, it took EIGHTEEN AA batteries, but we got all the Hallmark Christmas characters and the bear that reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas" going for the season! Alexee thinks they are the greatest!

My usual meal day was changed to Wednesday for this week. I'm making a new lasagna recipe that I got from my friend Cameron in Pokeno group. It was yummy at her house--hope mine turns out okay! Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it:
LAZY LASAGNA
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 lb cottage cheese
8 oz sour cream
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
3 6oz. pkgs. sliced mozzerella cheese (12 slices)
1/2 cup parmasean cheese
1 cup water (I usually use a little less)
After browning and draining meat, add spaghetti sauce. Combine cottage cheese and sour cream in seperate bowl. Mix well. In a 9 x 13" pan, spoon 1 cup meat sauce in bottom. Place 1/2 of the uncooked noodles over sauce, then 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, 4 slices mozzerella, 1/2 of remaining meat sauce, and 1/4 cup parmasean. Repeat layers starting with noodles and continue the order. Top with remaining mozzerella. Pour water around the sides of the pan. Cover tightly with foil. Bake @ 350 for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 20 minutes (or until bubbly). Let stand about 15-20 min. (The standing is important in making it cut well.)
I'm also making Buttermilk Pie. Don't let the word buttermilk turn you away--it's delicious (I don't like the taste of buttermilk at all). It tastes sort of like Vanilla Chess Pie. I think my Mom originally got this recipe from Mrs. Judy a long time ago? Our whole family loves it.
Here's the recipe for it, along with the pie crust recipe of my Mom's that I use. (I cannot seem to make a pretty crust. It makes me so mad. Mom and Grandmother can both make crusts that look like they're from the cover of Southern Living, but mine are always too small or torn or something--I had both problems today! Plus, I somehow manage to get flour everywhere--even if I'm trying to be neat.)
SINGLE CRUST
1 1/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Crisco
3 T water
Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in Crisco with pastry blender until mixture is uniform (fairly course). Sprinkle with water, a Tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork, work dough into a ball. Roll out.
BUTTERMILK PIE
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
3 T flour, rounded
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of nutmeg
Cream butter & sugar. Beat in flour & eggs. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour into pie shell and bake 45-50 minutes at 380 degrees (until middle is firm). If it starts to get too brown before the middle is done, gently put a piece of foil over it to help keep it from burning.
I can smell it baking right now--it might not look pretty, but hopefully it will taste good!
Escape to the Country With Me
8 months ago


7 comments:
Those ARE cute toes!! She's so funny.
MMM, your lasagna sounds SO good. I made lasagna last week when Kale and Kayla were in. I always cook my noodles before layering... I've never heard of putting them in uncooked. I'll have to try that. And I couldn't make a pie crust to save my life!!
Alexee toes are just cute..she is a girly girl!!
Do you buy those lasagna noodles that are made to be put in uncooked? I love them because to me that is the worst step of making lasagna....fixing those noodles.
I remember the first time I ever had buttermilk pie. I was 21 years old and teaching school in Dallas. A friend and I went to a little shop for lunch and we had buttermilk pie and I was SOLD!!!
I haven't made one in a long time but maybe you have encouraged me to try it soon!
You have a sweet blog.
Your pie sounds delicious. I'd like to give this one a try. Your lasagna looks good too. I always add cottage cheese to mine too, but I've never put sour cream in before.
18 batteries!! Ha!! That is too cute. What a nice Mommy you are.
I love Alexee's toes!!!!
That lasagna sounds good - I make one very similar but I put in chicken instead of brown meat. It's very easy and yummy!
I've never even ATTEMPTED to make my own pie crust so I think you do a great job! And yes - I think my mom used to make buttermilk pie and it is good. I haven't had one in about 20 years.
I love reading your blog, Jamie. It makes me want to stop working and go home and do crafts and cook and all sorts of things. Then I remember that i can't even use a glue gun. But I like to dream! Seriously, you make it all look so effortless. I know it is not though. Your kids are so darn cute...love Alexee's toes. I hope you are feeling well. You certainly seem to have enough energy! Take care.
We have all the Hallmark snowmen in full swing over here, too. Most of the time, they are all going at the SAME time! Oh my goodness!
Schäfer loved the Hallmark dog and snowman that sang Jingle Bells. His Grandma Huckleberry had one and she eventually had to hide it. We've got that on video. I hope we can post it soon.
Post a Comment