Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Maybe we need a new toy here...

...Does it mean your kids are bored if they find the phone book entertaining??? Rhett asked yesterday if he could borrow the phone book to look up the number for 9-1-1. :) So I got it out and showed it to him in the front cover so he'd know where to look if he ever forgot what to dial. Then I looked up our number and showed it to him and underlined it. I also looked up a friend's number and underlined it. After about the 15th time to look those up, I decided I should teach him about "alphabetical order" and how he could look for the C's and G's himself. I put a star at the top of the specific pages for those two numbers, and this kept him entertained for quite a while. Alexee found excitement in the phone book this morning as well when they stumbled upon the "veterinarian" section of the yellow pages. She squealed with glee when she saw the pictures of dogs--her favorite!I love it when the UPS truck leaves something for us! Today I had a package from my friend Mary Katherine. Here is the note that was inside:
With the note came this cute sleeper and super soft football lovey:
MK told me to let her know what Lane's response was when he got home. Lane said to tell her thanks for thinking of us, but to ask her if that store had any Oklahoma outfits because we'd prefer a "championship" team to just a "winning" team! :) I haven't heard back from her...that might be the last gift she sends us!? Thank you, MK, he will wear it with pride!

This afternoon Rhett and I made spiced tea mix for his and Alexee's teacher gifts. My plan is to package it in clear bags tied with Christmas ribbon, put it down inside the cute mugs I bought and attach a recipe card with the tea recipe. It looks cute in my head, but I'm not sure how they'll turn out in "real life"--we'll see. Here's the recipe we used below. (Do you have a variation that you use? The lady at the Crown Shop was trying to remember something she'd heard once that maybe involved peach Jell-O mix...but she couldn't remember for sure, and I couldn't find it on the internet.)

Spiced Tea

8 oz. Tang
1 cup instant tea
1 pkg. pre-sweetened Kool-aid Lemonade
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves

Add to boiling water.
Then we heated up the hot glue gun and attached ribbon to all the clay ornaments that we made on Sunday so that R could hang them on their playroom Christmas tree. We're having lots of fun with holiday activities around here!

7 comments:

Jacquie said...

I just love to hear what your children are doing every day!! Their interest in the phone book is hilarious - but useful!

Anonymous said...

Would you mind posting the clay recipe? How cute!

The Allens said...

We're aggies, that outfit is pretty cute, though...

The Garners said...

Someone asked for the clay recipe--please see link created in this post (from the words "clay ornaments").

Jessica said...

Awww! So happy for your family and your new little boy coming!!

Lisa Sherrill Roach said...

Go Longhorns!

Kelly said...

I'm laughing at the phone book. I'm going to take back every toy we have bought for harper and just give her a cardboard box and the phonebook - I think kids like that more anyway. ha!
And I hope you won't let baby Garner wear that longhorn outfit. (Sorry MK!) I'm laughing at what Lane said - sounds like something Scott would say!