Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kids' Christmas Party

Today Rhett and Alexee had a few friends over for our annual cookie decorating and Christmas celebration. It was originally scheduled for yesterday, but due to the ice on the roads, we had to reschedule (R was sooo disappointed yesterday--it made for a very long day). I think the kids had fun decorating sugar cookies with icing and sprinkles, drinking hot chocolate, making their foam Santa decorations and playing in the playroom.

Rhett & I baked a few new recipes for the party. I loved the Red Velvet Cookies:

18 1/2 oz. pkg. red velvet cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 T water
2 eggs
12 oz. pkg white chocolate chips

Combine all ingredients; mix well. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from baking sheets. Makes 3 dozen.
Another new recipe, Cheesecake Cookie Cups:

12 slices refrigerated sugar cookie dough
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
Optional: 21 oz. can cherry pie filling (or other flavor)

Place paper liners in 12 mini muffin cups; place a slice of dough in each cup. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until dough has spread to edges of cups. Beat together cream cheese, condensed milk, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Spoon about 3 T cream cheese mixture into each cookie cup. Bake for an additional 15-18 minutes, or until set. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully remove cups from muffin tin. If desired, top with pie filling. Refrigerate for one hour before serving. Makes one dozen.
The kids decorating cookies.
R was so excited to have friends over!
Maylee & Alexee sitting & chatting while the big kids worked on cookies.
Ali did a great job supervising the Santa craft and applying the glue--thanks, Ali! I was "busy" holding Darcy's 2 1/2 week old baby boy--I can't believe we'll have one of those at our house in a few more months! It was so fun to hold him! He's a cute cute baby, but somehow I didn't get his picture.
Alexee took control of the sprinkles.
Some of the delicious creations.
My sister helping Hudson-Lee & Jaiden with their crafts.
Some of the younger kids: Jeryn, Maylee & Alexee, munching on trail mix.
It was a fun time to be together. The kids are all so excited about the holidays this year, which makes it extra special. My kids didn't eat much dinner--too many sweets tonight! Rhett said that his tummy hurt when he went to bed! We'll try to eat healthy tomorrow!

6 comments:

Jacquie said...

I'm telling you, Jamie, I'd want to be a kid in your neighborhood (or family)! Y'all have THE most fun. You make memories everyday with your little ones.

Candy said...

What a fun idea!!! :) It looks like the kids all had a blast. Thanks for sharing the new recipes. :)

His Doorkeeper said...

Jamie, you are a brave woman! Sprinkles and red hots all over the place! WOW!

The kids are precious and I bet they had a good time but I also know you, Darcy and Micaela had a fun time visiting too!

The Baxter Bulletin ran a whole page yesterday about red velvet cakes and I thought of you!!

Jamie said...

What a fun idea! I think I may have to give this a try next year.

The Milams said...

So sad I missed again!

The Keltons said...

We wish we could have been there. Duncan ended up missing his MDO party too because he was sick. Looks like you all had lots of fun. I am going to have to try those red velvet cookies.