Thursday, May 29, 2008

Favorite Room

Kelly had another fun idea for her blog...a "favorite room of the house" post. So here's mine...my son's room. I think it feels like the most complete room in our house to me--every other room seems like it needs a table here or curtains there or a table skirt on that table or a picture on that wall, etc. His room is pretty much the same as it was at our previous house, only without two-tone khaki stripes on the walls (this room is smaller, so we didn't re-do the stripes). I think I also like it because of all the different pieces that we worked on or searched for when I was pregnant with him (this was his nursery theme, too). Here's a little tour:

Lane put up the river scene mural (twice!--once here and once at our other house!) I think it's really neat for a little boy. I made these curtains once we moved here. His bedding came from Target...MK told me about seeing it there, so I went and got it when he moved to a big-boy bed!

I saw something very similar to these fish pictures at Posh Tots when I was pregnant with R, but they were $50 each and I wanted four. So I asked my Dad if he'd carve them (he can do anything), and he did. I love them way more than the website pictures--these are very special because Dad did them for Rhett. I painted each fish with oil paints.


Stuff on top of R's dresser:

Newest addition: jar of shells from Gulf Shores that Rhett picked up. He's very protective of them--he didn't want anyone to break them or get them mixed up with other shells. I thought it was cute that he was so proud of them. They're displayed proudly in his room now.

Mom found this canoe bookshelf somewhere--I thought it was perfect for all the books that he loves to read over and over again!

This rocking chair was the one Mom used with my sister and me. She let us have it and paint it. I had the chair pad made along with R's crib bedding. When I took sewing lessons, these pillows were my first project.


In this frame is a picture of R's first fishing trip--he's sitting on his Great-Grandmother ("Mo Nina's) lap on the pond bank--a picture I'll treasure forever!

My friend, Heather, gave R these letters for a baby gift. I recently tied them to the oar with leftover, torn strips of the bedding material. Lane's Mom found this cute mirror somewhere...it has fishing lures in the top part of it.

His closet is probably the most organized one in the house, so I like that. It's a nice-size.


And, of course, my FAVORITE part of the room...the boy who lives there! :)

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Rhett's room is JUST perfect. I remember seeing it before he was born and thinking it was just the best nursery ever!
I'm so impressed with those pictures your dad did. I think he AND you can do anything! Way too much talent in one family!
And Rhett is the cutest!

Leigh Ann said...

Oh my goodness. That room could totally be in a magazine, Jamie. I love it! His organized closet motivates me! It seems like every time I get a closet organized, the kids think the toys are new or something and destroy it before the toys have had a chance to get cold on the shelf! Ha! I know R will always have good memories of that room. Isn't that the kind of room all little boys dream of?!

Meredith said...

Wow, that is like the ultimate boy's room! I love the mural in the room! The rocking chair must be so special! And the pillows on it are wonderful too! They look professional.Rhett is very cute! Enjoyed visiting!

Faith said...

This is such a cool room! I love all the little touches...the art, the rug, the letters on the oar. And that red armoire is great! Thanks for sharing!

Meredith said...

This room is adorable! I bought the same bedding for my almost 4 year old son, but never quite finished the room. You have done a wonderful job, and given me some great ideas. The carved fish pictures are amazing! And I love the oar with his name. Thanks for the inspiration-maybe I"ll actually get going on Graham's room now. :)

Heather said...

I love R's room so much and can't wait to start planning B's big boy room. Hanging the letters from the oar looks really cute!!

Anonymous said...

I still love going in his room everytime we're over! But I do love the boy living there the MOST of all too! mgt

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

That is the coolest room! I can defintely see where your artist abilities come from...those pictures your dad carved are awesome!

Jenna said...

Such a precious room! And such a precious little guy as well!! :)

Erin said...

I LOVE this room!!!!!!!

Heidi Zawisza said...

You don't know me, but I came across your blog from others.....anyways, I love your little boys room! It's awesome!!
Have a great day!
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I remember how amazing Rhett's room was at the old house. I'm so glad you were able to have the same theme in your new house. (though it probably doesn't feel new anymore!) You did such a great job!

Tanya said...

What an incredible room! Every detail is so well-thought out. Lots of inspirational ideas for me to keep in mind. My son's room is a mish-mash of leftover airplane theme from his nursery along with all his big boy stuff. Maybe his room will be a summer project!

Kelley said...

This was so much fun. Thanks for sharing! I love each and every well thought out detail in this boys precious room. How fun!