Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad (a day late)!

It's often said that Dads and daughters have a special bond...and it has certainly been true in my life. For almost 32 years I've thought this guy was IT. I've always thought he could do anything (and he can). From the time I was old enough to sit in his shop, I wanted to help him do things, and I still enjoy working on projects with him. I think I was just a few years old when I asked him if I could have a brush so I could help him paint one of his old cars. We've always laughed about the same things and probably have a million inside jokes that never get old (not to us anyway). When I was still at home he got a motorcycle and we rode together a lot (now that I have kids, I know my Mom must have been a nervous wreck every time we left the driveway). He even taught me to ride the motorcycle myself. Actually he told me we weren't going home until I drove it myself, so that's what I did. When I was in college I went overseas for a semester and he came to visit me on my Spring Break which was one of the most memorable weeks of my life. I don't know how he does all the things he does...and does them so well. He's always been a wonderful, Christian example in all areas of his life and the absolute best Dad anyone could ever ask for. Now it's a joy to see my kids being blessed by that same love--they love to spend time with their Granddad!

Happy Birthday, Dad! We love you!!!

7 comments:

The Milams said...

You DO have a special dad!

This was a great post.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Hopper. If you need any (indoor) trees sawed down, I'll send Z over in honor of your birthday!!!:)

We've Got Scents said...

What a beautiful tribute. Hope he had a wonderful day!

In His Army said...

I'm laughing at MK's comment! Mom and Dad though that was great when Z sawed the tree down!!!

We are two of the luckiest people. Great post! And thanks for your prayers this week.

Kristy said...

That was so beautiful to read. Made me teary eyed. I feel the same way about my dad.

Jacquie said...

Awww, Jamie, this post made me cry! How sweet. I have always loved to watch you interact with your Dad. I remember one time when we were all at the Sneed's house (my kids were just tiny) and you were about 16 or so... you and your Dad sat at the fireplace and just cracked each other up the whole time! I secretly hoped I'd have that kind of relationship with my kids.

Your parents have been a HUGE influence on our parenting ... I hope they don't take offense at that!

One day, Rhett will be writing a post about how wonderful his Mom is!

Leigh Ann said...

Sounds like you and Micaela have a fantastic dad. Very sweet post and love the pictures!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday to Randy..I can't wait to see your parents next week. This was a really sweet post J!!