Rhett loves receiving mail. And he has a new pen pal...Mo. He sent her a letter not long ago and said to me, "If you send a letter to someone, that person will write you back." I told Mom what he said and of course she wrote him back very quickly. Her first letter included a sheet of smiley face stickers, which R liked and used on the envelope of his second letter. It took her a little longer to respond to his second one than he would have liked. He told me a couple days ago, in a frustrated tone, "I wrote Mo SIX days ago". I didn't count, but he was probably right--I'm sure he'd been keeping track. So today I sent him to the mailbox because Mom told me she'd mailed him something, and he was very excited to find an envelope with his name on it! He opened it up and it was a typed letter with pirate pictures around the edges (the two of them played pirates in the back yard earlier this week).

I don't think I'd even finished reading the last sentence to him when he jumped up to go get another envelope and stamp from the cabinet. This time he had me write down what he wanted to say, then he covered the envelope with more smiley face stickers. He had me address it and he immediately took it to the mailbox and put up the flag. Hopefully Mo will be quick to respond! Mom has always been good about sending mail. When I was in college, my OBU mailbox almost always contained a letter from home--I loved it! And there would often be a package slip in my box, and the package would be homemade cookies or yellow bakery smiley face cookies from Mom. She'd also send me newspaper clippings and Snoopy cartoon strips because Snoopy always reminded us of Oliver. She still sends me clips from their local paper about high school classmates, etc. E-mail is great, I'm so glad we have it, but it will never replace the joy of "real mail"! Thanks, Mom/Mo, for always thinking of us!
If you're wondering what Alexee's been up to today, here's a picture of her in action...throwing one of her new, on-the-floor-fits! I think she threw three today. They are pretty funny because she completely flattens herself out on the floor and raises her head up every few seconds to see if anyone is watching. Today she started a fit in the kitchen so I walked out and went into the living room with Rhett. When she noticed her audience was gone she got up, walked into the living room and threw herself back down on the rug so I could see her! She might not have red hair, but she has a redhead's temper! :)
Escape to the Country With Me
6 months ago


10 comments:
I'm with Rhett....I still love to get "snail-mail" from the old post office!! E-mail is great and I use it more than I should but it just doesn't have the same impact as a REAL letter!
Your Mom was a fabulous Mom to you in college! And now she is a GREAT Mo for your kids!!
I always thought Brenda would be the BEST mom! She is so thoughtful.
Rhett is just so darn cute it makes me want to write him myself.
And Alexee is too funny to follow you to the next room to make her presence known! Ha!
Mom has always been the BEST about writing real letters. Mario loved it when we got married because he started receiving horse articles, or clippings about stuff she thought he woul dbe interested in. I LOVE THAT ABOUT HER! Just recently when J had to get her cholesterol tested, two days later mom had mailed an article on cholesterol levels in children. Her packages are always the best, huh? That is so precious that R has her as a pen pal. And Alexee...that little stink. Oh, the two year old fits have arrived early! She's a mess! Well Jaiden disagrees with me--she is insisting that you are carrying a little girl this time. Can't wait to find out!
That is so fun that Rhett and your mom are writing letters. I'm glad Rhett is experiencing real mail - it is my favorite! You and Micaela sent me so much fun Mail when I was at OBU! Now I know where you got it!
And I am laughing so hard at Alexee. I can't picture that sweet thing throwing a fit. and it's funny that she looks around to make sure you are watching! She's going to be a mess! ha!
I laughed out loud at A throwing herself on the groud...maybe she'll get this out of her system before the new baby arrives. So neat that your mom and R are writing back and forth. I loved those smiley face cookies from MH. Can we get some in Nov?
So cute that Rhett loves to receive mail. Duncan likes it when we receive a package in the mail of something I ordered. He likes to open it, then play in the box (if it is big enough). He does not get too excited about letters and cards yet though. Maybe soon.
Alexee is such a cute fit thrower. Maybe she will grow out of it soon.
You children are too cute! My nephew did the full body, on the floor, fit throwing for over a year! I don't know how they don't hurt themselves!
That is just the sweetest cutest thing ever!! We forget about "real" mail these days. I LOVE it!
That is just the sweetest cutest thing ever!! We forget about "real" mail these days. I LOVE it!
I agree. Nothing replaces "real mail". What a sweet thing Rhett is doing with his Mo. Wouldn't that be awesome if it continued up until he was in college? So sweet!
Post a Comment