A friend recently invited me to participate in a dinner exchange with her and one other girl that she knows from church (thank you, B!). The idea is that each person cooks one meal a week that makes enough to share with the other two families. On your dinner day, you deliver the two meals to the other families. This is our first week, and yesterday was my day. I made ham & swiss poppyseed sandwiches, potato casserole, broccoli salad and brownies. I think I will try next week to make something that requires a little less cutting & chopping. The things I chose to make were a little bit time-consuming when making "in bulk", but I hope they tasted okay...those are three of my favorite things! (Recipes below) The great part now is that we have leftovers for tonight, and I don't have to think about dinner for Wednesday or Thursday nights because dinner will be delivered to my doorstep!!! If you have any great recipes that are easy to double (or triple), I'd love to have some new ideas...
I think Rhett enjoyed the delivery process. He was hanging out the car window yelling, "enjoy your brownies", etc. Here are the meals all ready to go:
Hot Ham & Swiss Sandwiches
I used packages of 12 rolls from the Kroger bakery. (Hawaiin sweet rolls work great, too.)
1/2 lb of swiss cheese from deli
1 lb of ham from deli (I chopped mine up very small)
Slice rolls, place bottoms in 9x13 pan. Layer half of the swiss slices, layer all the ham, layer rest of swiss slices. Place tops of rolls on and pour sauce (recipe to follow) over rolls. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp mustard (plain yellow)
1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 stick margarine (melt and mix all together)
Potato Casserole (Lane's Mom's recipe)
Layer 1: 1 bag Ore Ida frozen potatoes/hash browns (32 oz.)
1 can cream of chicken & mushroom soup
1/2 stick margarine, melted
salt & pepper
Mix above ingredients and spread into 9x13 baking dish.
Layer 2: 1 (8oz.) sour cream. Spread evenly across potato mixture.
Layer 3: 2 cups shredded cheddar over sour cream.
Layer 4: 2 cups crushed cornflakes and 1/2 stick melted butter on top.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. (I usually cover mine toward the end of the bake time so the cornflakes don't get too brown.)
Broccoli Salad
Mix the following:
1 head broccoli (tips only), cut in small pieces
1 small red onion, chopped (I left this out)
1 cup raisins
1 bag real bacon pieces
Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix the dressing (it makes a lot--I used a little less than a full recipe on each salad). Add the broccoli, onion, raisins and bacon. Add 1 cup sunflower seeds (optional--I forgot to buy these for yesterday) to the top of the salad. Chill 1-2 hours.
Now it's time to start thinking about what to make next Monday???




9 comments:
Oh, I laughed out loud picturing Rhett hollering out the window!! You have so much blog material with that one around.
That sounds like a good idea (especially the getting two other meals part) ha! I love those little sandwiches - I make them a lot and potato casserole is one of my all time favorites.
Rhett cracks me up!
Do you deliver up NORTH????
I can see Rhett hanging out the window now! What a great idea. Whoever is in your group is sure lucky--looks like great food!
What a great idea! And a quick-easy recipe I saw on a blog recently was crescent rolls wrapped around small Milky Way bars, then baked per directions on Crescent Roll can. Sounds YUMMY:) Praying all is well with all of you! I enjoy reading about your family so much.
Blessings always,
Kaye
Yummy! Can't wait to try your recipes!
Gretchan
What an amazing idea!
I think poppyseed chicken is always a real crowd pleaser.
cool idea! I make those yummy sandwhiches all the time! Aren't they scrumptious!?!?!
That is a FANTASTIC idea. I am SO going to make those sandwiches for Ella Grace's birthday party. They sound delish!
Post a Comment