Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Playing School

Since R has started fall MDO he likes to play school and be the teacher. Today the letters of the day were A, B, C and F. He wanted me to think of words that started with those letters and he'd write them on the chalk board (I told him how to spell them, and he did a good job making the letters himself). Alexee tried to play along, too. It makes me laugh to think about them playing school together because it reminds me of when I used to try to make my sister play school with me when she was about Alexee's size (we're a little over 5 years apart). I'd get so frustrated when she wouldn't do the homework sheets I'd make for her--ha! I can't imagine why that wouldn't be fun.

Yesterday I saw a "helper of the day" sign in R's classroom, so on the way home I asked him if he'd had a turn being the helper of the day yet. He said he had once, and that he'd get another turn soon. I asked him about the helper's responsibilities, and he told me that one was to hold the flag during the Pledge of "Pallegiance". I didn't know they were learning the Pledge--I'd never thought to ask--but I was so glad. I asked him if he knew it, and he recited it word for word (there were a few cute parts like "one nation under God, in the invisible..."). I was so proud of him! I took a video clip of him saying it when I got home, but couldn't get it to work here. Their little brains are so amazing--they can memorize so easily right now!
The front porch still needs some pumpkins and maybe a fall wreath or something, but I did get three mums today. Rhett and I planted them this afternoon. I replaced the tulip flag with my favorite fall flag from Flag Fables--they have such cute flags to choose from.

I've ordered two more flags for Thanksgiving and Christmas:

7 comments:

Heather said...

So sweet...I LOVE that they are playing school!! I'm decorating for fall right now too. Cute new flags.

In His Army said...

I am waiting until after the weekend when my deck is finished to do mums and some fall stuff. That's hilarious about playing school together. You loved that didn't you?!!!!

Morris Family said...

Thanks Jamie for the belated wishes!! It seems like the kids are born one day and in school the next!! I remember playing school with my sisters too and they would not pay attention either!! That is so sweet that they play so good together.

The Jennings said...

I played school when I was little too. I hope Alexee is a better student than my younger brother!

Gretchan

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm a fellow Arkansas - Hot Springs. I love your new flags but oh what cute children! blessings, marlene

Jacquie said...

I used to love to play school.

Your flags are so cute!

Sharmin said...

I guess Rhett's just going right along, I think I used to try to boss you (and everyone else) around when we would play. Okay, I don't think I did, I know I did. (Is it too late to apologize?)

I love the Pledge of Pallegiance, Logan says the Pledge of a Legion.
"I pledge a legion to the flag of the anited states of tomerica...
He thinks the Pledge of Allegiance should always be followed immediately by the pledge to the Awana flag. Four is such a cute age!